SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Problems setting up Linux as router (RH 7.3)
[be] Carmen Sandiego on Sunday, 30 March 2003 06:07:57
Well the subject says it all.. I have succesfully configured the machine with the ip commands from the SixXS FAQ and it works. However the FAQ for giving other hosts connectivity if you have a /48 (which I have) doesn't help me much, I can't get the thing working as a router.. radvd *seems* to do it's job and gives the client an address (it even seems to give it two addresses) but when I want to traceroute6 or ping6 or whatever it just won't go, I cannot even ping6 the router from the same LAN. Am I overlooking something? Do I need to change something else then forwarding in /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/? (forwarding is enabled by the way) I already looked everywhere on the net and I still can't seem to get it working, so I'm asking here. Like I said, I succesfully configured the machine as a host with the script on http://www.sixxs.net/faq/?faq=ossetup&os=linux so now I have a sixxs device, now I want it as a router. The client I'm testing it with is a Windows XP machine. Any help to get it working is greatly appreciated.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 31 March 2003 17:25:14
Show us, from the router, the: - routing tables - interface tables - firewall rules - forwarding flag Show us, from the client, the: - ipv6 if - ipv6 rt Also see the other topic about XP which shows some nice 'debugging' techniques ;)
[be] Carmen Sandiego on Monday, 31 March 2003 18:06:08
Okay, I'll remember that ;) too late to change it now ;) Meanwhile I'm still having problems putting the subnet online |:( :p
[si] Carmen Sandiego on Tuesday, 01 April 2003 01:21:41
Hm I had the same problem too... But then i fixed it ... "ip -6 route show" , then check if you have any routes " via :: ". Delete those with "ip -6 route del" and it should work. Btw, you set up the default route or 2000::/3 ? Mine is 2000::/3, i did the steps above and it worked ... Good luck ! *D [edit] oh , you might want to assign a /64 to your LAN to use it... I did "ip -6 route add 2001:960:60e:1::1/64 dev eth1" 2001:960:60e::/48 is my subnet, I assigned 2001:960:60e:1::/64 to eth1. Then I've just put the /64 prefix into the radvd.conf and that was it.
[be] Carmen Sandiego on Saturday, 05 April 2003 23:06:23
Thanks, that did it, it works now, but not completely as it should, I loose my IPv6 connections after a few minutes on my XP client then it works again and then after a while it doesn't (again). However my connections (seems to) work again for a while if I tracert6 from the client to another address on the Internet. And traffic from the router to other hosts on the net keep working like it should, this problem only happens to the client machine.
[be] Carmen Sandiego on Thursday, 17 April 2003 02:59:20
Anyone else has this? I've read in this thread that this is due to NAT/connection tracking (and I use it too), but what has it to do with this, and can't this be resolved? :?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 17 April 2003 10:10:06
You send a IPv6 packet out, your box encapsulates it into a 6in4 packet, NAT tracking records the source+dest in in't tracking tables and the packet gets send to the POP. Packets comes from outside (POP) to you, NAT recognizes and lets it through. Then the tracked connection times out. POP sends packet, NAT throws it away as it is unknown. Solution: Use and keep using your tunnel ;)
[be] Carmen Sandiego on Friday, 18 April 2003 22:02:46
I see, well that sucks :P, I hope another solution come's out soon to make it "known" or something :P because this one is not really ideal as I need NAT, because I want the client to be firewalled. Anyway thanks. :)
[be] Carmen Sandiego on Friday, 18 April 2003 22:32:26
Hmm I'm just thinking of something, can't I disable that timeout somehow? And if possible only for the IPv6 protocol, so icmpv6 and other ipv6 stuff can keep reaching the client and the NAT box leaves it alone. Because setting up a script on the client which pings something on the Internet to stay reachable for others is not really what I want to do ;)
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 19 April 2003 02:56:13
You could fix your NAT to exclude connections going to certain IP's/protocols etc. iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.100.0.0/16 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE And maybe exclude some hosts but that's all up to you :)
Linux routing
[fi] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 05 May 2003 18:51:18
It seems that
ip -6 route add 2000::/3 dev sixxs
does the job. Wonder why "default via <IPv6 foreign tunnel endpoint> dev sixxs metric 1024 mtu 1280 advmss 1220" isn't enough...
Linux routing
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 06 May 2003 02:36:57
Linux kernels didn't support a 'default' route because the kernelguru's decided that a router (IPv6 forwarding enabled) should know all routes anyways. Next to that 2000::/3 avoids allowing the redistribution of fe80:: and other local spaces. USAGI kernels and 2.4.20+ 'fix' this and do allow a 'default' though.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker