SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Connectivity behind NAT using AICCU
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Sunday, 05 September 2004 23:36:16
Hello, I am successfully using a static tunnel on my server (Linux) from SixXS for a couple of weeks. Today I decided to bring IPv6 connectivity to my desktop computer (running Windows XP Professional) which is behind a router (Linksys WRT54GS with standard firmware). In the FAQ I read about AICCU and the 10 easy steps to IPv6 so I requested another tunnel (heartbeat) which was approved by the SixXS staff. So just like the FAQ said I was downloading AICCU, logging in, checking the "Behind NAT" box and clicking on "Enable". Somehow this is not really working. I read about tunneling IPv6 pakets through TCP or UDP, don't I have to forward specific ports to the desktop computer? Couldn't find anything about that... I haven't ever setup IPv6 on Windows but I am familiar with the procedure on Linux. Thanks for your help!
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 06 September 2004 09:33:09
As your linksys can be upgraded I suggest that you do that and let the thing act to what it should be doing: providing connectivity and thus routing IPv6. Otherwise you can forward proto-41 to the real endpoint or you can checkout the BETA program for AYIYA which is supported by beta2 and up of AICCU. But that is a beta mind you.
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Monday, 06 September 2004 11:20:43
Thanks for your reply. I tried to use the AICCU tool (beta2) but I can't select AYIYA somewhere. I already had a look at the website you gave me (AYIYA) but there seems to be no information for "home users" because the only thing I found there was a draft about the technical issues of AYIYA. Anything I missed?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 06 September 2004 11:22:34
Maybe that AYIYA is the protocol and AICCU is the tool which can make it possible to use it and the fact that one can only request AYIYA tunnels now is for the purpose of beta testing?
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Monday, 06 September 2004 12:57:40
Yes, AYIYA seems to be the protocol but I cannot select that protocol anywhere (neither on the webinterface nor on AICCU). The tunnel I requested is a dynamic heartbeat tunnel and AICCU isn't able to provide IPv6 connectivity to my desktop computer. And I can't find anything in the FAQ related to that, for example which ports do I have to forward (if any). I just thought anybody else also tried IPv6 behind NAT and had similar experiences (and solutions to the problems). What is that tool even good for then as there already exists a heartbeat software... :?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 06 September 2004 13:18:01
Check the bottom of the Connectivity FAQ, this and a couple of other places, mention protocol-41. You cannot select AYIYA yet from the webinterface because it is in beta, request are only taken through the contact address. AICCU only shows you what already has been made available, thus requested and approved. AYIYA is built into AICCU and will replace the heartbeat tool, note also that the unix version of the heartbeat tool didn't do configuration, which is now done with TIC, which is different from what the heartbeat tool for windows used. As for experiences with tunnel endpoints behind NAT, read the forum, enough there...
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Monday, 06 September 2004 17:58:14
Why are you telling me the same thing on every reply? :? I know that it works just like normal when forwarding IP protocol 41 to the destination host but I wanted to use AYIYA so I don't have to mess with the firmware of my router! Can you tell me the email address I could contact in order to participate in the AYIYA beta test? If that's not possible I am rather forced to use another firmware... |:( Thanks.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 06 September 2004 18:15:42
How hard is finding and then reading the contact page? Like all the other things, they are even in google....
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Monday, 06 September 2004 18:52:29
Thanks for your kind answer, I will use the default address then. I thought you had another address as you're a member of the team (or what does that SixXS icon besides your name mean?).
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 08 September 2004 19:35:43
All communications to the SixXS Staff go over one single address, unless it is abuse. See the Contact page, which is for some very hard to find, even when it is quite clearly present ;)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker