SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

1 IPv4 Address - Multiple Routers behind it
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 11 September 2013 08:56:15
Hello everybody, currently i have 1 POP with 1 Subnet, terminating on a Sophos Astaro. I now want to Test a pfsense Machine with a differens Subnet. Is it better to request another pop or is it better to request another subnet on my current pop? Would 2 pops going to the same ipv4 address work? Is this even possible? Thank you for your Help. Greetings from Germany Chris
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 11 September 2013 08:57:21
Instead of multiple tunnels, why not simply delegate a few /64's out of the /48 subnet to the other host?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 11 September 2013 17:25:15
Christian Scholz wrote:
currently i have 1 POP with 1 Subnet, terminating on a Sophos Astaro.
I suppose you mean 'tunnel' instead of 'POP
Would 2 pops going to the same ipv4 address work? Is this even possible?
Assuming you are referring to AYIYA tunnels, it should, see http://www.sixxs.net/tools/ayiya/
I now want to Test a pfsense Machine with a differens Subnet. Is it better to request another pop or is it better to request another subnet on my current pop?
It might depend on what you want to test exactly. splitting the /48 subnet can be sufficient. Other test setups might require the 2nd tunnel (with it's own /64 subnet). In that case you'll have to convince Jeroen and his team ;) BR. Ron Haans
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 11 September 2013 17:28:14
Would 2 pops going to the same ipv4 address work? Is this even possible?
Assuming you are referring to AYIYA tunnels, it should, see http://www.sixxs.net/tools/ayiya/
Actually even with a single PoP, as UDP has port numbers as the distinguishing factor.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 11 September 2013 18:20:25
Jeroen, That's how I read http://www.sixxs.net/tools/ayiya indeed. (if NAT doesn't provide the magic, AICCU will.. :) ) Ron Haans (..ooOO if one places trust in AICCU, TIC would have a sigh of relief OOoo..)
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 14 September 2013 21:02:05
So technically 2 Tunnels with their own /48 Subnets via heartbeat would work right? Thank you for your Help :)
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 16 September 2013 18:05:34
Christian Scholz wrote:
So technically 2 Tunnels
yes (,with proper arguments why you'd want the second)
with their own /48 Subnets
(Why not use the /64 subnets that come with each tunnel??)
via heartbeat would work right?
Heartbeat: probably not (Unless you would be able to separate the proto-41 IP packets for those tunnels). AYIYA: should be ok. See: Does it work from behind a NAT or firewall? BR. Ron Haans
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 16 September 2013 18:41:12
btw, Mixed tunnels: 1x heartbeat, 1x AYIYA can work (but can be difficult/impossible to configure on your NAT device: you will have to separate the IP protocol 41 packets). (also see: Tunneling Comparison) Ron
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 16 September 2013 20:07:10
Mixed tunnels: 1x heartbeat, 1x AYIYA can work (but can be difficult/impossible to configure on your NAT device: you will have to separate the IP protocol 41 packets).
Heartbeat tunnels are proto-41 based, but AYIYA is UDP; as such, on a typical NAT box, if you can enable DMZ mode, that will take care of the proto-41 packets; the AYIYA packets will flow normally through the standard NAT setup. Now, why you would want two tunnels at the same location is beyond me though. Just use the best tunnel (heartbeat in this case) and use a subnet to give everything else connectivity...

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker