SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

DNS records: AAAA vs. A6 and ip6.int/ip6.arpa
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 28 January 2004 15:34:14
Hi, i signed up recently and i'm quite confused about multiple DNS RR's for forward and reverse lookups. According to my knowledge there are following types for forward lookups: - AAAA - A6 - CNAME (as with ipv4) According to my knowledge AAAA assigns a single address to a given hostname (the same way as A records) while A6 records can specify part's of ip-addresses which are chained together. Is it right that the 6bone uses only AAAA records without exception? The BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual (Version 9.2) says: "The AAAA record is a parallel to the IPv4 A record. It specifies the entire address in a single record. [...] While their use is deprecated, they are useful to support older IPv6 applications. They should not be added where they are not absolutely necessary." Are A6 records not used because of their complexity or lower efficiency? Can someone tell me if either the AAAA or A6 record type is deprecated or which ones are ought to be used in future? I would also be pleased if someone can tell me, how this applies to the ip6.int (nibble format) and ip6.arpa (bitstring format) methods for reverse lookups as the bind reference manual also says the nibble format was deprecated.
DNS records: AAAA vs. A6 and ip6.int/ip6.arpa
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 28 January 2004 15:42:11
In short: - Use AAAA - A6 is experimental - CNAME, just use it like in IPv4 check this link for A6 usage 6bone is just a part of the IPv6 network and as A6 is experimental, people tend to mostly only use AAAA. A6 records are not used because they are to complex, see the many talks on the dns-ext list. That bind9 manual, though I use it above is old(tm). As for reverse: use ip6.arpa ip6.int has been deprecated 3 years ago. DNAME and bitstring are deprecated also, see the first link.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker