SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

DNS: DNAME records?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 27 January 2004 11:02:32
Hi, I'm currently trying to setup IPv6 DNS, but I had a CNAME for my domain name before, so I'll have to wait until this CNAME has expired on all caches before my other DNS RRs will take effect... I wonder if DNAME records are still supported since I googled some pages where I found statements like "A6/DNAME records are dead." ? If it's still a good idea to use DNAMEs, does anybody know some good tutorial on this topic? Or are there any pitfalls to think of before starting to setup DNAMEs? Regards, Wolfgang
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 27 January 2004 14:19:54
Yeah, A6 and DNAME records have been deprecated at least for the moment: http://www.join.uni-muenster.de/Dokumente/drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-ipv6-addresses-00.txt
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 28 January 2004 14:49:59
Note that it is already RFC3363
4. DNAME in IPv6 Reverse Tree The issues for DNAME in the reverse mapping tree appears to be closely tied to the need to use fragmented A6 in the main tree: if one is necessary, so is the other, and if one isn't necessary, the other isn't either. Therefore, in moving RFC 2874 to experimental, the intent of this document is that use of DNAME RRs in the reverse tree be deprecated.
Thus: DNAME is deprecated, A6 and bitstrings are experimental.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker