SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Convincing an ISP to deploy IPv6
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 24 March 2006 20:36:31
I've been working on my ISP to get them to support IPV6. They have had several excuses, but none bonafide. The last one was that the address space was expensive. I found references on-line to how to get the IPv6 address space and why it was free to ISPs; and I sent these to them. So, the question is this. What other things can I do to encourage them to deploy IPv6. Or, more importantly, what real hurdles are there? I've heard that part of the problem is the that the CPE firmware doesn't support ipv6. Certainly this can be a real problem since they don't have a lot of control over the gear that the telco supports. Seems like they could support a short-hop tunnel from my gateway host to their routers and circumvent the problem. I'm glad that SixXS is finally supporting the US. The previous tunnel brokers I've used haven't been reliable. Cheers.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 24 March 2006 20:49:08
The last one was that the address space was expensive.
I found references on-line to how to get the IPv6 address
space and why it was free to ISPs; and I sent these to them.
Depends on what kind of ISP they are. When they are already an ARIN member they can indeed, for the coming couple of years, get 'free' IPv6 address space. But getting address space is not everything; you also need to train people, have the helpdesk updated to support it, upgrade all your equipment, solve a lot of new problems and way way way more.
So, the question is this. What other things can I do to encourage
them to deploy IPv6.
Beg hard, worship several gods at once or: donate them a lot of money.
Or, more importantly, what real hurdles are there?
The largest hurdle: Return on Investment For an ISP there currently still is no real reason to start moving to IPv6 except for having it done already instead of getting hit late and then having a big burden. As such any investment they make like training, equipment, upgrades, and a lot lot more isn't directly getting money flowing into their direction. Thus there is no business case for them now and thus why should they bother with it?
I've heard that part of the problem is the that the CPE firmware
doesn't support ipv6. Certainly this can be a real problem since
they don't have a lot of control over the gear that the telco supports.
Seems like they could support a short-hop tunnel from my gateway host
to their routers and circumvent the problem.
That is exactly the step that SixXS can provide to them: What can SixXS do for an ISP? but they would still need to make available connectivity to the rest of the world and configure routers, upgrade their monitoring and lots more.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 26 March 2006 12:34:24
Just keep in mind that I expect the US to be relative slow in picking up IPv6. They have a larger number of IPv4 addresses assigned for historical reasons.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 31 March 2006 17:01:17
Which is completely irrelevant for end user ISP's as only larger companies have the /8's and they keep them for their company and not for an enduser ISP. Next to that there is enough IPv4 address space left for the coming 10 years according to Tony Hain and Geoff Huston's calculations. Also see: IPv4 Address Exhaustion (Wikipedia)
[us] Shadow Hawkins SixXS PoP Administrator on Wednesday, 29 March 2006 22:58:47
Just FYI, OCCAID is currently aggressively pursuing extensive IPv4 peering relationships with many ISPs in US that we can meet at exchange points. The goal of this project is to enhance the tunneled IPv6 path for many ISP end-users so that they can reach IPv6 SixXS US, etc tunnel POPs at a much faster speed with low latency. We will be joining additional exchange points for IPv4 peering, including Equinix Dallas/Chicago, so stay tuned for more improvements! James OCCAID
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 31 March 2006 01:28:10
I'm watching the OCCAID network topology for the Seattle POP to turn-up.
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 17 April 2006 03:49:16
HEH, welcome to the club. It'll likely be a long time before that happens, as there's not much of a demand there (even though I'd be happy as a pig in shit, as I'm 4ms away ;))

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker