SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

ipv4 default route fallback when pop is down with Cisco, done!
[it] Carmen Sandiego on Monday, 03 June 2013 11:30:49
Hi folks, In this late period my pop (ittrn01) is often down and my network is unable to reach ipv6 hosts (google, sixxs, youtube, many others...) and I must toggle manually the ipv6 default route from my router; if my router reply to ipv6 client traffic with "Network unreacheable" then they switch to ipv4. Using Cisco router I can toggle automatically the ipv6 default route using "ip sla" capabilities, but only with a newer firmware that supports it with ipv6, older firmware supports only for ipv4. Approaching the problem: I can't ping the xxxx::1 endpoint of my tunnel, the tunnel is down. so I configured this on my Cisco router: every 10 seconds router sends a ping to pop ipv6 endpoint, this operation starts at router start-up and remains active forever. (#conf term) #ip sla 10 # icmp-echo xxxx::1 source-ip xxxx::2 # frequency 10 #ip sla schedule 10 life forever start-time now then a tracker keeps in care the status of the "ip sla" #track 10 ip sla 10 reachability when in ipv4 cisco can use a conditional route adding "track 10" to the "ip route ..." command, in ipv6 you can't do this. so I used the "event manager applet" to monitor the state of the "track 10" #event manager applet TRACK_IPV6_DOWN # event track 10 state down # action 1.0 syslog msg "TRACK_IPV6_DOWN - removing ipv6 static default route" # action 2.0 cli command "enable" # action 3.0 cli command "conf term" # action 4.0 cli command "no ipv6 route ::/0 Tunnel0" #event manager applet TRACK_IPV6_UP # event track 10 state up # action 1.0 syslog msg "TRACK_IPV6_UP - adding ipv6 static default route" # action 2.0 cli command "enable" # action 3.0 cli command "conf term" # action 4.0 cli command "ipv6 route ::/0 Tunnel0" so automatically the router autoconfigure itself adding o removing the ipv6 default route. for debugging the state here the commands: (no conf term mode) #show ip sla statistics 10 [..] #show track 10 [..] and finally #show ipv6 route [..] ATTENTION: from the default config I deleted the ipv6 default route, now event manager will provide for me depending to endpoint pinging. for routers that does not have ip sla for ipv6 but only for ipv4 perhaps is sufficient to check good status in this manner: -pinging the ipv4 pop endpoint, or -upd/tcp-pinging the ayiya port of pop endpoint, or -??? when in trouble I will try with these methods. enjoy ipv6 routing (only when pop is active) ;-)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker