SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv4 Gateway to all open ports on NAS
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 14 May 2013 10:53:52
Hallo, is it possible to create a gateway/tunnel from the ipv4 internet to my NAS, which is connected by an ipv6 internet-connection? Do I need a tunnel or what have I to do, that I can reach my NAS from outside? I have only DS-lite on my. The sixxs ipv4-gate works only for port 80 and http. I want to use other ports and https and sftp. Sorry for my bad English. Damian
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 14 May 2013 11:05:53
I guess you mean this in relation to www.sixxs.net/tools/gateway/
I want to use other ports and https and sftp.
https cannot work as we cannot get a certificate that covers all the hosts below it. sftp same thing, we cannot act as multiple hosts for SSH. Your best thing to do is using IPv6, options you have: - Enable IPv6 on your NAS (if you provide details about make/model/version etc, maybe somebody can point out that this can be done; most of these things run Linux thus it tends to not be too tricky. - Use a separate host that does support IPv6 and port-forward from IPv6 to the IPv4-version of the NAS's service.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 14 May 2013 11:21:28
IPv6 in the NAS is enabled. That is not the problem. From other ipv6 internet-connections it is possible to connect my nas. But I have a problem, when I want to connect it from an ipv4 internet-connection (like normal ADSL). I can not explain everybody of my friends how to build a tunnel to ipv6 to connect to my nas. I thought there must be an easier way.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 14 May 2013 11:26:00
Damian Wieczorek wrote:
IPv6 in the NAS is enabled. That is not the problem. From other ipv6 internet-connections it is possible to connect my nas. But I have a problem, when I want to connect it from an ipv4 internet-connection (like normal ADSL). I can not explain everybody of my friends how to build a tunnel to ipv6 to connect to my nas. I thought there must be an easier way.
The options you have are: - IPv6 enable the clients - Port-forward/IPv4-tunnel to the server. IPv6 enabling the clients is a long-term solution. If you have problems with that, then do describe what problems you are running into and we can see how that can be resolved.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 14 May 2013 11:50:23
The options you have are: - IPv6 enable the clients - Port-forward/IPv4-tunnel to the server.
The option "Port-forward/IPv4-tunnel to the server" sounds like it would be the best for my problem. But how do I do this? I can not do ipv4 port-forwarding in my router, because I have only ipv6 and ipv4 only in DS-lite. And how to setup which kind of tunnel that my nas can be reached over ipv4?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 14 May 2013 22:14:33
Damian Wieczorek wrote:
The option "Port-forward/IPv4-tunnel to the server" sounds like it would be the best for my problem. But how do I do this? I can not do ipv4 port-forwarding in my router, because I have only ipv6 and ipv4 only in DS-lite.
With DS-Lite your IPv4 packets first get tunneled via IPv6 to your ISP (Kabel Deutschland?) and then NATted by a CGN/LSN operated by the ISP. Hence you have to ask your ISP if he could reserve a public IPv4 address out of his NAT pool for your exclusive use and then configure your desired port forwardings. Perhaps he does, if you pay enough. But I guess, he won't. As a DL-Lite user you are the looser, if you want to operate services for the IPv4 Internet.
And how to setup which kind of tunnel that my nas can be reached over ipv4?
There are many solutions for tunneling IPv6 in IPv4, but I don't know any solution and a tunnel broker, doing it the other way round. Future job for SixXS?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 15 May 2013 04:55:54
Andreas Cudok wrote:
With DS-Lite your IPv4 packets first get tunneled via IPv6 to your ISP (Kabel Deutschland?) and then NATted by a CGN/LSN operated by the ISP. Hence you have to ask your ISP if he could reserve a public IPv4 address out of his NAT pool for your exclusive use and then configure your desired port forwardings. Perhaps he does, if you pay enough. But I guess, he won't. As a DL-Lite user you are the looser, if you want to operate services for the IPv4 Internet.
It is Unitymedia and there you only get IPv4 as business user.
There are many solutions for tunneling IPv6 in IPv4, but I don't know any solution and a tunnel broker, doing it the other way round. Future job for SixXS?
Right, this is the thing, I am searching for. I found nothing in te web about this. Only the IPv4-Gateway here on sixxs. So I thought there might be a way to make a tunnel for IPv4 in IPv6. And as I read in the different forums, I am not the only one with this DS-Lite problem. How do I contact sixxs, if they are interested in such a job?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 15 May 2013 06:01:39
Damian Wieczorek wrote:
Right, this is the thing, I am searching for. I found nothing in te web about this.
Only the IPv4-Gateway here on sixxs. So I thought there might be a way to make a tunnel
for IPv4 in IPv6. And as I read in the different forums, I am not the only one with this DS-Lite problem.
You just need a "VPN provider" there are lots of these, typically they are used for bypassing local laws/filtering/inspection so one can use netflix/bittorrent etc, but they give tend to give a public IPv4 IP and then you are done.
How do I contact sixxs, if they are interested in such a job?
There is a big Contact at the top of the page with full details on how to contact SixXS (short: email info@sixxs.net); but as you will read on the about page, we do not do 'jobs' as SixXS is not a company; and we only deliver IPv6 connectivity, IPv4 is for the past. As such the answer is, no we won't do that, getting large amount of new IPv4 space would be impossible and no ISP will be giving it away for free.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker