SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

After years, suddenly no IPv6 anymore
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 08 May 2013 17:07:03
More than 2 years ago I've set up an IPv6 tunnel on my homeserver. This has worked without flaw for all these years, but since a few weeks it doesn't work anymore. I touched absolutely no files! The only interface I use with this computer is the on/off button and via the shares and programs like Calibre etc. To be honest, it's been such a long time I've set this up, I don't know anymore how to debug it. My setup: Fedora 12 with AICCU installed aiccu.conf has following lines:
# AICCU Configuration # Login information username xxxxxxxxxxx password xxxxxxxxxxx # Interface names to use # ipv6_interface is the name of the interface that will be used as a tunnel interface. # On *BSD the ipv6_interface should be set to gifX (eg gif0) for proto-41 tunnels # or tunX (eg tun0) for AYIYA tunnels. ipv6_interface sixxs # The tunnel_id to use # (only required when there are multiple tunnels in the list) #tunnel_id Txxxx # Be verbose? verbose false # Daemonize? daemonize true # Automatic Login and Tunnel activation? automatic true # Require TLS? # When set to true, if TLS is not supported on the server # the TIC transaction will fail. # When set to false, it will try a starttls, when that is # not supported it will continue. # In any case if AICCU is build with TLS support it will # try to do a 'starttls' to the TIC server to see if that # is supported. requiretls false
ifconfig gives following output:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:D8:60:6B:FF inet addr:192.168.1.10 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: fe80::211:d8ff:fe60:6bff/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:186669 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:83608 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:13817232 (13.1 MiB) TX bytes:276302231 (263.5 MiB) Interrupt:23 Base address:0xe000 lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1 RX packets:929 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:929 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:95202 (92.9 KiB) TX bytes:95202 (92.9 KiB) tun0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00 inet addr:10.8.0.1 P-t-P:10.8.0.2 Mask:255.255.255.255 UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:100 RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
I guess tun0 doesn't look good? I'm on Belgacom provider in Belgium, could they have changed something? On http://test-ipv6.com/ it says that the DNS server of my ISP appears to have IPv6 access. What I did see when I logged on at Sixxs.net was that my subnet was disabled. (or was it my tunnel?) Anyway, I've enabled it, but they warned it could take some time. Is there another configuration file I should check, or any other thing? Thanks for the help!
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 08 May 2013 17:14:59
OK, think I've been too quick. Was it that it needed more time for the subnet to be enabled or was it that I did a restart of AICCU (sudo /etc/init/d/aiccu restart), but now I appear to have a working tunnel. If it was the subnet, then I still wonder how it came to be disabled? I haven't logged in on sixx.net in years. If it was the restart I hope it still works after a reboot.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 08 May 2013 20:31:43
Chris Van Bael wrote:
OK, think I've been too quick. Was it that it needed more time for the subnet to be enabled or was it that I did a restart of AICCU (sudo /etc/init/d/aiccu restart), but now I appear to have a working tunnel. If it was the subnet, then I still wonder how it came to be disabled? I haven't logged in on sixx.net in years. If it was the restart I hope it still works after a reboot.
The subnet should be irrelevant to AICCU as it does not look at subnets in it's current incarnation. Default subnets (sized /64) where added last year. On existing tunnels we made them disabled, as we did not want to force a new configuration to them. Only your log files can tell what is/was wrong.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 08 May 2013 20:29:15
ipv6_interface sixxs
You are specifying that the interface name is 'sixxs', this normally is correct. (unless you are on FreeBSD, where for AYIYA you do need to us tun0)
#tunnel_id Txxxx
You did not fill in a tunnel_id, this is okay when you only have one tunnel.
ifconfig gives following output:
Before or after running AICCU, also where is the log output from AICCU?
inet addr:192.168.1.10 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
You are likely behind NAT.
tun0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
inet addr:10.8.0.1 P-t-P:10.8.0.2 Mask:255.255.255.255
This is a tunnel to some RFC1918 network.
I guess tun0 doesn't look good?
Should not be related to SixXS. As you are the administrator of the box you should know where it comes from.
I'm on Belgacom provider in Belgium, could they have changed something?
Maybe. It completely depends if eth0 is your local network or if that is the network of your ISP.
On http://test-ipv6.com/ it says that the DNS server of my ISP appears to have IPv6 access.
Quite likely today that DNS servers have IPv6 transport.
What I did see when I logged on at Sixxs.net was that my subnet was disabled. (or was it my tunnel?)
Anyway, I've enabled it, but they warned it could take some time.
Is there another configuration file I should check, or any other thing?
Log files is a good start. For the rest read the Contact page's "Reporting Problems / Checklist" for a whole list of things to look at.
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 09 May 2013 10:48:46
Thanks for the quick replies. Ok, I was not aware of the subnet thing. Is there any problem in leaving it enabled? I'll try to find the AICCU logs to see what they say. 2 years ago I configured AICCU to start on boot. As I said, my use case is to start the pc with the power button, transfer my documents, and power off through VNC or by pressing the power button twice quickly :-) So the ifconfig is normally after starting AICCU, but I'll check if it starts normally. Very strange that it suddenly didn't work anymore. Apparently I'm not as much the admin as you (or I) believe I am... Eth0 is connected to a simple switch which is connected to the BBOX2 provided by Belgacom. i should check if they provide IPv6 connections now.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 09 May 2013 12:09:09
Ok, I was not aware of the subnet thing.
See the news pages for when it was introduced and FAQ: subnets for more details.
Is there any problem in leaving it enabled?
Disabling/enabling a subnet just means that that prefix is routed towards you or not.
2 years ago I configured AICCU to start on boot. As I said, my use case is to start the pc with the power button, transfer my documents, and power off through VNC or by pressing the power button twice quickly :-)
Sounds like you have other hosts on that same network, you might want to consider terminating the tunnel one of those and then announce the subnet to other hosts to give them IPv6 connectivity.
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 09 May 2013 18:36:43
Jeroen Massar wrote:
Sounds like you have other hosts on that same network, you might want to consider terminating the tunnel one of those and then announce the subnet to other hosts to give them IPv6 connectivity.
I really don't know which host that would be, at certain moments the only other 'computer' running, was my iPad and my digital television decoder. Anyway, I believe AICCU is not started anymore on boot, according to what I see in the Service Configuration panel in Fedora. Did "aiccu test", worked perfectly. When I start aiccu manually it again works perfectly, so apparently it isn't started (or doesn't want to start) I googled a bit, but I can't seem to find the location of the aiccu log file.
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 14 May 2013 02:34:03
Chris Van Bael wrote:
I googled a bit, but I can't seem to find the location of the aiccu log file.
A good starting point would be /var/log/messages. Open a terminal window and run "tail -f /var/log/messages". Then start aiccu in another terminal window, you should see /var/log/messages update.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker