SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

radvd Linux client gets multiple IPv6 addresses
[es] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 22 April 2013 09:33:04
Hi, On my router I have configured radvd as follows: interface eth0 { AdvSendAdvert on; prefix <subnet prefix>::/64 { }; }; My setup is working fine and both my router and the client have IPv6 connectivity. However, the client gets more than one IPv6 address. One of the two contains the sunbet prefix and a suffix determined by the MAC address exactly as expected and it is marked as "scope global dynamic". However, the second ip address doesn't seem to be related to the MAC address. As a matter of fact, I don't know where it comes from at all. It is marked as "scope global temporary dynamic" and it changes when I reboot the client. Also, after some time (I'm not sure how long exactly but could be a few days) another IPv6 address is added to the same interface. At first I thought it was due to the Gnome3 Network Manager so I disabled that. But that didn't seem to help. Has anyone experienced this behaviour? Why does this happen? Or rather, how do I prevent this from happaning? Thanks a lot in advance for an answer. Cheers, Wouter
[es] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 22 April 2013 12:34:46
It turns out both the manual configuration of the client nic and automatic configuration performed by the Gnome3 NetworkManager messed things up. I disables NetworkManager for now and that resolved the issue. Cheers, Wouter
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 22 April 2013 13:08:44
Wouter van Reeven wrote:
Hi, On my router I have configured radvd as follows: interface eth0 { AdvSendAdvert on; prefix <subnet prefix>::/64 { }; }; My setup is working fine and both my router and the client have IPv6 connectivity. However, the client gets more than one IPv6 address. One of the two contains the sunbet prefix and a suffix determined by the MAC address exactly as expected and it is marked as "scope global dynamic". However, the second ip address doesn't seem to be related to the MAC address. As a matter of fact, I don't know where it comes from at all. It is marked as "scope global temporary dynamic" and it changes when I reboot the client. Also, after some time (I'm not sure how long exactly but could be a few days) another IPv6 address is added to the same interface. At first I thought it was due to the Gnome3 Network Manager so I disabled that. But that didn't seem to help. Has anyone experienced this behaviour? Why does this happen? Or rather, how do I prevent this from happaning? Thanks a lot in advance for an answer. Cheers, Wouter
This sounds like you had Privacy Extensions enabled on your client. Privacy Extensions are used to prevent exposing your MAC address information to the internet. Instead of using the SLAAC IPv6 address based on MAC address for internet communication, a second "scope global temporary dynamic address" with a random suffix is assigned and used. BR, Ron
[es] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 23 April 2013 07:43:13
Ron Haans wrote:
This sounds like you had Privacy Extensions enabled on your client. Privacy Extensions are used to prevent exposing your MAC address information to the internet. Instead of using the SLAAC IPv6 address based on MAC address for internet communication, a second "scope global temporary dynamic address" with a random suffix is assigned and used. BR, Ron
Thanks a lot Ron. This is exactly what's going on and I was unaware of its existence. Cheers, Wouter

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker