SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Use IPv6 on multiple PCs simultaneously
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 29 March 2013 14:27:49
Recently I asked the question to SixXS: "I have a question about sharing a tunnel. I have a sister who also wants to use an IPv6 tunnel. She's on a different computer, but in the same network in our home. We can't seem to both use the tunnel at the same time. We then get error messages from SABnzbd saying: 'Server quit during logon sequence.'. Would it be possible and allowed to create a separate account and tunnel for her, so we both can use the IPv6 connection at the same time? Or are there other solutions to this problem?" I got the following reply: "You need to request a subnet and route that to the home network.". I requested a new subnet and I got one. Now I have one tunnel and two subnets (one /48 (currently enabled) and one /64 subnet (currently user disabled)). Now is my question: How should I setup the second subnet so that my sister and I can use the IPv6 connection simultaneously? Where do I need to change something?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 29 March 2013 14:29:51
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 29 March 2013 16:14:16
Thank you for your reply, Jeroen. I tried to follow the FAQs, but it's not really clear to me. It says: Install the IPv6 stack as described in the Windows OSSetup FAQ.. On both computers in the network the IPv6 connection via SABnzbd works if not used simultaneously, so I assume this step is done. Then it says that I have to enter 4 lines in the CMD. What should I enter for the [SubnetPrefix]? Should I use my one subnet prefix (/64) for the one computer and the other prefix (/48) for the other computer in the network? Because I don't see how else I could assign different subnets for the different computers. Next, what should I type for the [Interface]? Is this the name after 'Description' of the 'Ethernet adapter aiccu' when I type ipconfig /all into the CMD? The name behind the description is 'TAP-Windows Adapter v9' by the way. Lastly, I assume I have to enter the tunnel endpoint (2001:xxx:xxx:xxx::2) for [Tunnel Interface], is this correct? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not yet experienced with these things.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 29 March 2013 16:18:48
You will have to detail a lot more about how you have configured your network to have anybody here on the forums help you. Please answer the following, then we can proceed to see what the right solution to your problem is: - how many and what kind of computers/hosts are involved (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or Linux; Router/NAT/modem model type etc) - how are they connected to each other and to the Internet - on which host do you terminate the tunnel
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 29 March 2013 17:00:16
- how many and what kind of computers/hosts are involved (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or Linux; Router/NAT/modem model type etc) - how are they connected to each other and to the Internet
There are four hosts involved in the network (3 notebooks of which 1 is running 64-bit Windows, and 1 desktop running a 64-bit Windows). All hosts are running Windows 8. They're all connected to a TP Link TL-WR1043ND router (192.168.1.1) which is in turn connected to the Internet via a Cisco EPC3212 modem (192.168.100.1). The router acts as a DHCP server assigning fixed IP addresses to the computers involved (within the 192.168.1.100-199 range).
- on which host do you terminate the tunnel
I'm not sure what this means, but I think the tunnel is terminated on one of the notebooks. That's the host where I do most of the settings and setup of the network.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 29 March 2013 17:12:41
Loek Verhees wrote:
There are four hosts involved in the network (3 notebooks of which 1 is running 64-bit Windows, and 1 desktop running a 64-bit Windows). All hosts are running Windows 8.
They're all connected to a TP Link TL-WR1043ND router (192.168.1.1)
Note that you could, if you wanted to, run OpenWRT on it and terminate the IPv6 tunnel directly on this device. See this article for an extensive overview.
which is in turn connected to the Internet via a Cisco EPC3212 modem (192.168.100.1). The router acts as a DHCP server assigning fixed IP addresses to the computers involved (within the 192.168.1.100-199 range).
Are both the TP-Link and the Cisco doing NAT? (likely as they are in different RFC1918 /24's) If that is the case, for stability/less-complexity you might want to turn the Cisco into a bridge and/or disable NAT on the TP-Link.
>- on which host do you terminate the tunnel
I'm not sure what this means, but I think the tunnel is terminated on one of the notebooks. That's the host where I do most of the settings and setup of the network.
With "terminate" it simply means where you run "aiccu" or otherwise configure the tunnel. Note that you only configure the tunnel on one host (be that the TP-Link in OpenWRT mode) or on one of the Windows boxes. Then from that host you use Router Advertisements to announce a /64 of the subnet to your local network, which then provides connectivity to the rest of the hosts in the network.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker