SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv6 over wifi
[nz] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 09 March 2013 22:47:13
At home and at our community centre I have a similar network setup, LAN and wifi are bridged, machines on either get an IP address from the same DHCP server. Setup at home; TP-link TD-W8901G. Router is 192.168.1.1 handles adsl, nat and provides dhcp for ipv4. Linux box is 192.168.1.254, runs aiccu+radvd and provides ipv6. Setup at the centre; linux firewall provides ipv4+ipv6 through a gig-ether switch. wireless is Cisco WRT310Nv1 configured as a bridge. So I have ipv6 on the wired network in both locations. I was hoping that IPv6 would work the same way, that whatever radvd broadcasts would also go over the wifi and wireless clients would get ipv6 but it appears this doesn't happen. If I plug my laptop in I get ipv6 fine. If I connect to wireless I don't. I've been trying to follow wireshark but I don't see any obvious difference between what the wired clients see and what the wireless ones do. Lots of broadcast traffic with only What am I looking for? Help me understand what's going on here.
IPv6 over wifi
[nz] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 09 March 2013 22:48:05
"with only MAC addresses on it" How do I go back and edit a message here?
IPv6 over wifi
[nz] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 09 March 2013 23:23:29
weird. It's working at the center now (I upgraded the firmware which may have helped) but still not at home. More experimenting to do I think.
IPv6 over wifi
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 10 March 2013 19:36:43
Most very likely something is broken with respect to multicast, as that is the primary thing that makes IPv6 "break". As such, check in the various devices that you do not disable/filter/break multicast. As you have a firewall, do check if that one is not filtering anything too.
IPv6 over wifi
[nz] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 11 March 2013 21:19:02
OK, have turned off the Firewall (don't know if it even filters LAN traffic, turned it off anyway) and 'IGMP snoop' which I gather messes with multicast traffic. Still no ipv6. I think I might just give up on this one. I probably need a better AP.
IPv6 over wifi
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 11 March 2013 23:09:03
IGMP snoop is indeed related to multicast and can definitely mess with IPv6 enough for it to break. What kind of AP is this (model/version), and did you check if there are firmware updates available for it?
IPv6 over wifi
[nz] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 12 March 2013 07:28:21
It's a very cheap TP-Link TD-W8901G, shows up on their website under 'discontinued products'. Running the most recent firmware available, 6.0.0 Build 120418 Rel.34102 With IGMP snoop and firewall turned off I still can't see ipv6 on my laptop. What sort of broadcast packets am I meant to be looking for in wireshark?
IPv6 over wifi
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 12 March 2013 09:17:24
What sort of broadcast packets am I meant to be looking for in wireshark?
You are looking for Multicast. Neighbour Discovery (ND) is the thing to look for.
IPv6 over wifi
[nz] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 12 March 2013 19:08:05
Jeroen Massar wrote:
> What sort of broadcast packets am I meant to be looking for in wireshark? You are looking for Multicast. Neighbour Discovery (ND) is the thing to look for.
I see the laptop trying to send them but they never appear on the other side. I suspect this problem can only be solved by getting a more up to date router. It's not a major problem though.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker