SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv4 VPN over 2 IPv6 points : is this possible ?
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 22 December 2012 17:42:17
Hello all, I don't seem to find any question(/answer) on if it is possible to route a private IPv4 VPN over (SixXS) tunneled IPv6 points. The reason why I would want to do it this way, is that the IPv6 (SixXS) address doesn't change (even if I've seen before in some RFC that this won't necessarily remain like that, as allocated IPv6 addresses can be reclaimed), there where IPv4 addresses change over time. Working this way with fixed IPv6 addresses doesn't then necessitate to use dyndns entries necessary in a IPv4 setup. I seem to have read somewhere, in the past, that this kind of IPv6 setup isn't possible when working with tunneled IPv6, but I can't find it back, even after having browsed the SixXS Setup forum logs up to 2009. Before continuing on my intention, I thought I'd better ask here if that setup makes sense and/or is possible at all.
IPv4 VPN over 2 IPv6 points : is this possible ?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 23 December 2012 19:38:00
(even if I've seen before in some RFC that this won't necessarily remain like that, as allocated IPv6 addresses can be reclaimed)
This really depends on the allocation strategy of the provider in question. In the case of SixXS tunnel endpoints never change as that is the way we allocate them. Any kind of VPN that is capable to run over IPv6 (eg OpenVPN) should work fine. But instead of trying that, welcome yourself to the future and just use IPv6 instead.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker