SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

restricted address space useage
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 08 February 2004 11:44:25
Notez bien that we will be restricting usage of the tunnel address space in such a manner that only the ::2 address of the /64 is routed to the other side of the tunnel. Thus if you make your setup like above it is bound to break.
OK, i notice that it has been done. Because my *::51 address i used for my desktop does not work anymore. 2 questions : Why would you do that... You assigned a /64 address space but you only allow to use 1 of it :s where is the use of IPv6 then? What would be a profound reason to do this? You said i sould requset a subnet. How can i do that when i never gain credits? Althoug my tunnel stays up!! (except for a disconect of 1 or 2 seconds every 36h for a redail)
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 08 February 2004 23:48:11
Normally after one week you get one time credits on a heartbeat tunnel and so you can request your tunnel. If not the only manner to get credits is to explain your situation in a mail to the crew info at this domain.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 09 February 2004 14:11:08
The 'profound' reason is that the /64 is tunnel space and that a subnet is to be routed behind that. If you don't understand the fact that a /64 belongs on one link, which a tunnel is effectively then stay in IPv4 and subnet everything crisscross. You are probably also one of those people who think that giving a /48 to an enduser 'is too much and overdone' well, at the moment it might be, but not in a couple of years when all the IPv6 enabled household equipment gets launched as can be seen on the neat IPv6 gadget shows in Japan etc.
You said i sould requset a subnet. How can i do that when i never
gain credits? Althoug my tunnel stays up!!
(except for a disconect of 1 or 2 seconds every 36h for a redail)
You have a heartbeat tunnel and as can be read in the FAQ those don't accumulate any credits, the problem is that you spent your credits on getting a static tunnel which you deleted afterward.
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 09 February 2004 17:48:09
Perheps i do not understand completly all the things that have to do with 6over4 tunnels and how they work and all that stuff... But that is why i'm here. Because i know what the future will bring for IPv6 and so (and YES I do know about all the household gadgets that will get lauched in the future, and NO i don't think that a /48 is "overdone" for endusers). The only reason why I was posting my last message was because my ipv6 was working, after i messed with my linux router a bit.... but appearetly i did something wrong because the pop couldn't ping my endpoint anymore... And so you discovered that you could do some things the way they werent supposed to be done (but it was working). If you are of the meaning that it is harmfull of disabling the way I got my IPv6 to work, then I have now meaning of judging that. I probably know a lot more about it then I do. But i would really like IPv6 to work on my network again. And if indeed I asked a static tunnel, witch was stuppid i know now, that was my mistake, but hey! I'm only human ;-). So if you, please, pritty please, could help me get IPv6 back up for my network i would be really greatfull (and sorry for my shi**y engish)
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 09 February 2004 21:51:57
And so you discovered that you could do some things the way they werent supposed to be done (but it was working)
"netstat -rn |less" shows all the IP addresses in the /64's used on a tunnel, we where aware of that a long time ago. Long live Neighbour Discovery :)
If you are of the meaning that it is harmfull of disabling the
way I got my IPv6 to work, then I have now meaning of judging that.
That is called routing, nothing bad about it, people have been using that since the early 1980's. It just isn't the purpose for which the /64 was delegated. The /64 is a transit network between your network and the POP. The reason for giving a tunnel first and a subnet later is to test the user, that is you, if you are able to maintain good connectivity, after which you receive some credits so you can request a subnet to connect the rest of your network. Basically the tunnel is useless and in the past some ideas went up to even simply firewall off any outgoing and incoming connections from the remote IP, though that is really far fetched and we never decided to do that.
I probably know a lot more about it then I do.
Now there is a contradiction ;)
But i would really like IPv6 to work on my network again.
Then request some credits and request a subnet, just like everybody else does.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker