SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Can I use my Linux server to share my /64 address with all machines on my network.
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 12 November 2012 02:19:37
Hello. I'm still a bit of a newbie when it comes to using an ipv6 tunnel. My ISP (TalkTalk) provides me with a dynamic IPv4 address, and I connect through a NAT router, hence I chose to use a Dynamic (ayiya) tunnel. I now have this working successfully on my Windows 7 Laptop. Now I'm thinking it might be nice to be able to use IPv6 on other devices on my LAN at home. I have a PC that I use as a general purpose server, running Linux Ubuntu desktop, version 12.04, and normally running 24/7. I was thinking I could use this machine to run my IPv6 tunnel, and act as a router, to provide IPv6 to any machine on my local network. I've been doing a lot of web searching, but I'm still a bit confused. The main thing that is confusing me, is that on this web page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IPv6 in the section about getting connected with SixXS, it says I need to request a /48 subnet. However I thought that my existing /64 allocation already provided me with a lot of addresses. I thought the actual IPv6 address, was a combination of the /64 address I have been allocated, plus the mac address of my network adapter. So I thought that my /64 allocation ought to be enough, as every machine on my local subnet will have a different mac address, and therefore have a different IPv6 address. So do I need to request a /48 sub net, or should I skip that part, and continue with the /64 that I already have? Another relatively minor point is that I'm a little uncertain how my Windows 7 Laptop is finding IPv6 web sites. I can't see any IPv6 DNS settings set up on my Laptop, however it seems to be able to resolve IPv6 web sites (now that I've made a small change to the registry). So I'm assuming it must be finding them using AAAA on my existing IPv4 DNS service, provided by my ISP. The DNS however does seem a little unreliable for IPv6 sites, so I'm thinking it may be better to try a public DNS service, although perhaps access it through one of their IPv4 addresses, to avoid sending extra traffic through my tunnel. Also would it be best to set the DNS setting on each individual machine, or is there a way to use my server as a DNS server. Finally does anybody have experience of doing this using Ubuntu. The web page I quoted above suggests that it will be a simple apt-get command to install AICCU, does anyone know whether it is really that easy. Then I presume it's just a matter of advertising the IPv6 connection to my local network, again from what I read that seems to be a fairly simple apt-get command to install the appropriate program. Thanks for any help. Richard.
Can I use my Linux server to share my /64 address with all machines on my network.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 12 November 2012 07:46:20
it says I need to request a /48 subnet.
You only need a /48 if you have multiple subnets behind your tunnel. If you do not have separate subnets for eg your wifi and wired, you can use a single /64 just fine. And that single /64 comes per default with a tunnel. Note that you per tunnel receive two /64's: one for the tunnel (where the <tunnelprefix>::2 is your side of the tunnel and <tunnelprefix>::1 is the PoP), and a second /64 which is routed toward <tunnelprefix>::2 that you can use for your local network. See your home for a easy overview as there they are listed.
So do I need to request a /48 sub net, or should I skip that part, and continue with the /64 that I already have?
You do not need to request a /48 unless you have a need for multiple /64s.
I can't see any IPv6 DNS settings set up on my Laptop, however it seems to be able to resolve IPv6 web sites (now that I've made a small change to the registry).
You do not need IPv6 DNS servers, as one can resolve IPv6 DNS records (AAAA) over IPv4 or IPv6 transport.
So I'm assuming it must be finding them using AAAA on my existing IPv4 DNS service, provided by my ISP.
Most very likely and that is how it is supposed to work too ;)
The DNS however does seem a little unreliable for IPv6 sites,
Why do you think it is unreliable just for IPv6? Please note that IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are stored in the same DNS system.
to avoid sending extra traffic through my tunnel
Unless you are going to do millions of DNS queries, the DNS traffic will really not be noticed.
Also would it be best to set the DNS setting on each individual machine, or is there a way to use my server as a DNS server.
What one typically does when one has a home server (be that a Windows or Linux box or anything else), is to install a so-called caching DNS proxy. Typically that is unbound, pdns-recursor or even a full BIND so that one can also configure some local zones (which is handy if you want to server local IPv6 addresses from a local domain for instance, unless you do that from a server on the Internet). This way that local caching server can do all your DNS resolution and one can even avoid using the ISP resolvers.
does anyone know whether it is really that easy.
On Debian/Ubuntu it is indeed really that easy. Thanks to Gary Coady's work several years ago one even gets easy to use debconf questions for the configuration which makes it much easier than Windows setup actually... aiccu is the first step, then your server has the connectivity. The second step is to setup radvd and fill in the subnet prefix into radvd.conf, enable IPv6 forwarding on the server, start up radvd and presto, all should work.
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 12 November 2012 19:06:23
Thanks for the advice. I haven't worked out how to quote your reply here, so I'll just have to answer you comments as best I can in one go. The reason why I think my IPv6 DNS is unreliable, is partly that many IPv6 only web sites don't seem to work. That could be just that many of them aren't yet set up properly. Also however when I test my IP settings using http://test-ipv6.com/ it often says "You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites." This suggests that I'm not resolving IPv6 web addresses. Then if I hit refresh a few times it finally says my IPv6 is working properly. Hence I think that something is being temperamental somewhere. Perhaps Linux will handle things better, or perhaps a public DNS would work better, I guess I wont find out until I try it. I'm finding it a bit hard to get my head around your statement. "Note that you per tunnel receive two /64's: one for the tunnel (where the <tunnelprefix>::2 is your side of the tunnel and <tunnelprefix>::1 is the PoP), and a second /64 which is routed toward <tunnelprefix>::2 that you can use for your local network. See your home for a easy overview as there they are listed." Perhaps it I keep reading it it will start to make sense. ;-) I was wondering why I seemed to need a massive /64 subnet just to connect one machine, and then I was even more bemused as to why I seemed to need an even more massive /48 subnet to connect more than one. So it looks like my next step should be to set up my tunnel on my Linux box, and remove it from my Windows 7 Laptop. Once I have it working on Linux I can than work out how to share it using ravdv. Thanks for mentioning a "cashing DNS proxy" I had tried a number of Google searches, and hadn't found anything useful, but I hadn't thought of Googling that one. Well I have a busy week at work this week, but hopefully I'll get the chance to make a start on all this in the next few days. Thanks for your help. Richard.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 12 November 2012 20:36:32
I haven't worked out how to quote your reply here
See the examples on the right, leading a line with ">" for instance will quote that line, just like in email. Or otherwise just put a [ quote ] [ /quote ] (without the spaces) around something and it will be quoted too in a same way.
That could be just that many of them aren't yet set up properly
In case of issues: traceroute6 / tracepath6 / tracert6 (depending on OS etc) the website, then you can at least see what the path is and if you can reach it.
Also however when I test my IP settings using http://test-ipv6.com/ it often says "You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only.
Browser and OS choice can affect this heavily. Best thing to check is what the local configuration is and to see if using traceroute6 etc to the remote site works.
I was wondering why I seemed to need a massive /64 subnet just to connect one machine, and then I
was even more bemused as to why I seemed to need an even more massive /48 subnet to connect more
than one.
Because IPv6 subnets go per /64 so that auto configuration works. See the FAQ about IPv6 for the details about autoconfiguration (which uses Router Advertisements to supply the first 64bits, while the last 64bits come from the MAC address of the network card, well in a way ;).
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 14 November 2012 21:09:32
A quick progress update. I didn't get around to doing anything until this evening. I installed aiccu on ubuntu, that part was very easy, and it seems to be working just fine. Then I thought I better then remove it from my Windows 7 Laptop. I wasn't sure exactly how to do this so I just went into the device manager, and disabled the itap driver, and the teredo driver. I've now been trying to get ubuntu share my IPv6 connectivity with the rest of my network, but right now I'm coming up against a problem. When I type sudo /etc/init.d/radvd restart I get: Stopping radvd: No /usr/sbin/radvd found running; none killed. radvd. Starting radvd: * IPv6 forwarding seems to be disabled. * See /usr/share/doc/radvd/README.Debian * radvd will *not* be started. I think I may have to do some Googling to try and figure out what the problem is, but I don't have any more time tonight.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 14 November 2012 23:33:06
* IPv6 forwarding seems to be disabled.
So your machine doesn't operate as an IPv6 router and you have to switch on IPv6 forwarding. Don't know how this has to be done within Ubuntu, but in other Linux distributions you have to type the command
sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1
which sets the net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding parameter within /etc/sysctl.conf accordingly. A
cat /etc/sysctl.conf | grep net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding
should show you the present setting. Andreas
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 16 November 2012 05:04:26
you have to type the command sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1
Thanks for your reply. That command adds a line to the file /etc/sysctl.conf which I have already edited, although I did come across a number of different variations of that setting, and I'm not certain which is the correct for Ubuntu 12.04, or whether it even matters which one I use. At the moment I have it set to net.ipv6.conf.default.forwarding=1 I will probably try a few different variations when I have time to experiment. Also when I Googled my error message, I got a page about firewall settings, so I suspect the source of my problem might be a firewall setting. I need to figure out how the firewall settings work anyway, so I'm going to check that out as well. However this week my main problem is that I'm working a long shift, so I quite simply don't have enough spare time to experiment. I want to tackle this problem when I have plenty of time to figure out what is going on, and at the moment it looks like that will have to be Sunday. Hopefully I'll figure out what is going on sooner or later. Thanks. Richard.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 16 November 2012 05:09:50
Note the differences: net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding net.ipv6.conf.default.forwarding net.ipv6.conf.eth0.forwarding The first 'all' applies it to all currently active interfaces. The second variant applies it to all new interfaces (eg if you plug in a network card or add a tunnel interface) The third variant applies it to that specific interface. Typically one puts both the the 'default' and the 'all' variant in /etc/sysctl.conf as then existing interfaces get that flag applied (due to the 'all') but also newly created interfaces get it. Of course, it depends on the goal, but it is typically what one wants on a router. Check FAQ: I have a firewall, what ports/protocols are used? for firewalling details. Note that the best firewall to start out with is one that does not firewall anything, then add a LOG and DROP/REJECT rule for traffic you know you do not want and go further from there.
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 18 November 2012 12:35:00
Note the differences: net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding net.ipv6.conf.default.forwarding net.ipv6.conf.eth0.forwarding
Things are now getting a bit more complicated. Ideally I would have like to have used the 3rd option, but since I couldn't work out which adapter was handling my IPv6 connection, I decided to use the first 2 versions instead. I then restarted my Ubuntu system, and started radvd, and after fixing a small sintax error in the configuration, it loaded happily. Now however when I start up either of my windows machines (I have a Windows 7 Laptop and an old Windows XP laptop), I seem to be getting a mess, and not getting any working IPv6 connection. For example if I type ipconfig on my Windows 7 I get: Windows IP Configuration Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2a00:14f0:e000:9d:b8a5:9fca:6a51:dadd Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2a00:14f0:e000:9d:2d3f:ebeb:975a:7418 Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b8a5:9fca:6a51:dadd%23 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::21c:c0ff:fec8:45a3%23 192.168.1.251 Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:4de:153b:aa2d:6c7f Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4de:153b:aa2d:6c7f%29 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 13: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Tunnel adapter isatap.{AC49BC22-4C71-4D26-A848-811A4FDB0D9B}: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : I get something similar on Windows XP. The first IPv6 address seems to be correct, as the first 4 groups of numbers are the same as the /64 subnet I got from SixXS. The part I really don't understand is why do I seem to be getting a tunnel adapter, as I thought my Linux machine was handling the IPv6 tunnel. Since you have already done this, I thought you might have some idea what is going on here. Thanks. Richard.
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 18 November 2012 12:58:53
Another question. I just noticed that the gateway is set to a link local address. So does this mean my laptop is supposed to talk to my gateway (the linux server), via a local IPv6 address?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 18 November 2012 16:44:45
The part I really don't understand is why do I seem to be getting a tunnel adapter, as I thought my Linux machine was handling the IPv6 tunnel.
These are only the standard tunnel mechanisms active with Windows (Teredo, ISATAP). They have nothing to do with your SixXS configuration. But you should switch them of: Start a command prompt with administrative rights and type the following commands:
netsh int ipv6 set ter dis netsh int ipv6 isa set st dis netsh int ipv6 6to4 set st dis
This will disable all tunnel techniques present in Windows (Teredo, ISATAP, 6to4).
I just noticed that the gateway is set to a link local address. So does this mean my laptop is supposed to talk to my gateway (the linux server), via a local IPv6 address?
Absolutely correct and this is standard behaviour with SLAAC. A router has to advertise its router advertisements by using the link local address of the interface the RA is send from. The receiver takes the source address of the received RA to autoconfigure it as default gateway. This has the advantage that the default gateway is reachable by a stable address while a renumbering of the link takes place.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 18 November 2012 17:18:25
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2a00:14f0:e000:9d:b8a5:9fca:6a51:dadd
Are you sure you configured the right /64 prefix for use inside your LAN? AFAIK you get the /64 for use inside your LAN by taking the /64 that is used for the tunnel and setting bit 49 to 1 (counting from the left starting with 1). So I guess 2a00:14f0:e000:9d::/64 is your tunnel prefix, 2a00:14f0:e000:9d::2 being your tunnel endpoint and 2a00:14f0:e000:9d::1 beeing the POP. The prefix for use inside your LAN then should be 2a00:14f0:e000:809d::/64 which is not what I see when looking at the addresses of your Windows hosts. But maybe I'm wrong -- please check this. Andreas
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 18 November 2012 17:33:09
Are you sure you configured the right /64 prefix for use inside your LAN? AFAIK you get the /64 for use inside your LAN by taking the /64 that is used for the tunnel and setting bit 49 to 1 (counting from the left starting with 1).
Or just looking in the user's home as there is a tunnel and subnet section. The subnet is also listed on the tunnel information page. Indeed, that prefix (2a00:14f0:e000:9d::/64) is for the tunnel, not the subnet.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 18 November 2012 17:33:57
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2a00:14f0:e000:9d:b8a5:9fca:6a51:dadd
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2a00:14f0:e000:9d:2d3f:ebeb:975a:7418
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::21c:c0ff:fec8:45a3%23
You are using the tunnel /64 there, this while you should be using the subnet prefix, check your user home or the tunnel information page to see which subnet belongs to it.
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:4de:153b:aa2d:6c7f
[..]
The part I really don't understand is why do I seem to be getting a tunnel adapter, as I thought my Linux machine was handling the IPv6 tunnel.
It is a Teredo tunnel, this is per default enabled in Windows. You can disable this too using
netsh interface teredo set state disabled
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 19 November 2012 06:05:22
OK things are making a bit more sense but it's still not working. Andreas you are right about the network prefix. This is the problem of being a newbie, when I started I didn't notice that the prefix of my subnet was slightly different from my IPv6 address. I realised and changed this a while ago. One point that is still a little confusing is that when I go to Test your ipv6 on my ubuntu machine it says my ip address is 2a00:14f0:e000:9d::2 So does this mean that the address ubuntu machine uses to access the IPv6 internet is slightly different from the one I should be sharing to the rest of my subnet? Jeroen. Thanks for the commands to disable the tunnel adapters on my Windws 7 Laptop. Windows 7 now says it's ipconfig is Windows IP Configuration Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 10: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 9: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2a00:14f0:e000:809d:b8a5:9fca:6a51:dadd Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2a00:14f0:e000:809d:a0df:a8d7:8421:fdec Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b8a5:9fca:6a51:dadd%23 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::21c:c0ff:fec8:45a3%23 192.168.1.251 Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : (wireless adapters 9 and 10 seem to be some type of virtual adapters that Windows 7 keeps installing, and I keep deleting Grrr....). Another part I'm confused about is whether my /etc/radvd.conf should use eth0, the same as my ipv4 interface, or whether an ipv6 tunnel uses some other interface such as eth1. Perhaps I'd better quite my current configuration files. /etc/network/interfaces auto lo iface lo inet loopback auto eth0 iface eth0 inet static address 192.168.1.202 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.251 dns-nameservers 192.168.1.251 # Trying to configure Ipv6 tunnel, apparently I need to define a # local IPv6 address as well # iface eth1 inet6 static # address 2a00:14f0:e000:809d::2 # netmask 64 (the commented out lines at the bottom are something I tried that I saw on a web page, but they caused all my internet access to stop working, so I decided they must be wrong and commented them out). /etc/radvd.conf interface eth0 { AdvSendAdvert on; MinRtrAdvInterval 3; MaxRtrAdvInterval 10; prefix 2a00:14f0:e000:809d::/64 { AdvOnLink on; AdvAutonomous on; AdvRouterAddr on; }; }; Another question. I tried to ping my ubuntu machine from my laptop using ipv6. To be honest, I really didn't know what ipv6 address I should be trying to ping, and so I just tried every combination I could think of, and none of them got any response. Is Ubuntu supposed to respond to ping in this way, and what address should I be trying to ping? If I can't even ping my routing machine then that might indicate ipv6 being blocked in some way. Any more ideas. I'm a but stuck at the moment. Thanks. Richard.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 19 November 2012 10:28:40
One point that is still a little confusing is that when I go to Test your ipv6 on my ubuntu machine it says my ip address is 2a00:14f0:e000:9d::2 So does this mean that the address ubuntu machine uses to access the IPv6 internet is slightly different from the one I should be sharing to the rest of my subnet?
The source address picking code picks the 'closest' address to the target and thus that is the one on the tunnel.
Another part I'm confused about is whether my /etc/radvd.conf should use eth0, the same as my ipv4 interface, or whether an ipv6 tunnel uses some other interface such as eth1.
The tunnel uses the 'sixxs' or 'aiccu' interface or whatever 'ipv6_interface' is set to in AICCU's configuration. ethX are the Ethernet interfaces on your computer. As you seem to only have eth0 (and based on the RFC1918 192.168.0.0/16 addresses, you are behind a NAT) eth0 is the right interface, IPv4 and IPv6 live on the same Ethernet. As you have a debian derivative (Ubuntu) you just need to add:
iface eth0 inet6 static address 2a00:14f0:e000:809d::1 netmask 64
Note that no gateway is needed as AICCU will set that up. When you have done an 'ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0' you should have an IPv6 address on eth0 too. Or you could reboot it, or quicker just do a:
ip -6 addr add 2a00:14f0:e000:809d::1/64 dev eth0
If you then do
ip -6 addr show
you should see it. And from hosts in your network, like that Win7 machine, you should be able to
ping6 2a00:14f0:e000:809d::1
Any more ideas. I'm a but stuck at the moment.
Provide more output, eg
ip -6 addr show ip -6 ro show
etc, as that shows what is configured and active. You might also want to check if you did not accidentally enable a firewall with
ip6tables -v --list -n
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 19 November 2012 06:16:34
A quick update. I tried pinging the ipv6 gateway as returned by ipconfig, and that worked. So my Ubuntu machine is accepting incoming IPv6 packets using the link local address.
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 19 November 2012 06:36:58
Perhaps I should also quote my sysctl and aiccu.conf (obviously I'll erase my SixXS passowrd) richard@Music-Server:/etc$ cat sysctl.conf # # /etc/sysctl.conf - Configuration file for setting system variables # See /etc/sysctl.d/ for additional system variables # See sysctl.conf (5) for information. # #kernel.domainname = example.com # Uncomment the following to stop low-level messages on console #kernel.printk = 3 4 1 3 ##############################################################3 # Functions previously found in netbase # # Uncomment the next two lines to enable Spoof protection (reverse-path filter) # Turn on Source Address Verification in all interfaces to # prevent some spoofing attacks #net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter=1 #net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter=1 # Uncomment the next line to enable TCP/IP SYN cookies # See http://lwn.net/Articles/277146/ # Note: This may impact IPv6 TCP sessions too #net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies=1 # Uncomment the next line to enable packet forwarding for IPv4 #net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 # Uncomment the next line to enable packet forwarding for IPv6 # Enabling this option disables Stateless Address Autoconfiguration # based on Router Advertisements for this host net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1 # Line added following instructions in radvd README file net.ipv6.conf.default.forwarding=1 # Apparently the .all version is for existing interfaces # and the .default option is for new interfaces. # Hence it is best to have both lines. ################################################################### # Additional settings - these settings can improve the network # security of the host and prevent against some network attacks # including spoofing attacks and man in the middle attacks through # redirection. Some network environments, however, require that these # settings are disabled so review and enable them as needed. # # Do not accept ICMP redirects (prevent MITM attacks) #net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects = 0 #net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_redirects = 0 # _or_ # Accept ICMP redirects only for gateways listed in our default # gateway list (enabled by default) # net.ipv4.conf.all.secure_redirects = 1 # # Do not send ICMP redirects (we are not a router) #net.ipv4.conf.all.send_redirects = 0 # # Do not accept IP source route packets (we are not a router) #net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_source_route = 0 #net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_source_route = 0 # # Log Martian Packets #net.ipv4.conf.all.log_martians = 1 # richard@Music-Server:/etc$ richard@Music-Server:/etc$ sudo cat aiccu.conf [sudo] password for richard: # Under control from debconf, please use 'dpkg-reconfigure aiccu' to reconfigure # AICCU Configuration # Login information (defaults: none) username REM6-SIXXS password ************(deleted) # Protocol and server to use for setting up the tunnel (defaults: none) protocol tic server tic.sixxs.net # Interface names to use (default: aiccu) # ipv6_interface is the name of the interface that will be used as a tunnel interface. # On *BSD the ipv6_interface should be set to gifX (eg gif0) for proto-41 tunnels # or tunX (eg tun0) for AYIYA tunnels. ipv6_interface sixxs # The tunnel_id to use (default: none) # (only required when there are multiple tunnels in the list) tunnel_id T93914 # Be verbose? (default: false) verbose false # Daemonize? (default: true) # Set to false if you want to see any output # When true output goes to syslog # # WARNING: never run AICCU from DaemonTools or a similar automated # 'restart' tool/script. When AICCU does not start, it has a reason # not to start which it gives on either the stdout or in the (sys)log # file. The TIC server *will* automatically disable accounts which # are detected to run in this mode. # daemonize true # Automatic Login and Tunnel activation? automatic true # Require TLS? # When set to true, if TLS is not supported on the server # the TIC transaction will fail. # When set to false, it will try a starttls, when that is # not supported it will continue. # In any case if AICCU is build with TLS support it will # try to do a 'starttls' to the TIC server to see if that # is supported. requiretls false # PID File #pidfile /var/run/aiccu.pid # Add a default route (default: true) #defaultroute true # Script to run after setting up the interfaces (default: none) #setupscript /usr/local/etc/aiccu-subnets.sh # Make heartbeats (default true) # In general you don't want to turn this off # Of course only applies to AYIYA and heartbeat tunnels not to static ones #makebeats true # Don't configure anything (default: false) #noconfigure true # Behind NAT (default: false) # Notify the user that a NAT-kind network is detected #behindnat true # Local IPv4 Override (default: none) # Overrides the IPv4 parameter received from TIC # This allows one to configure a NAT into "DMZ" mode and then # forwarding the proto-41 packets to an internal host. # # This is only needed for static proto-41 tunnels! # AYIYA and heartbeat tunnels don't require this. #local_ipv4_override richard@Music-Server:/etc$
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 19 November 2012 09:29:17
I seem to have confirmed that my ubuntu is not routing anything. I discovered a utility called pingpath, and I entered pingpath -6 ipv6.google.com the result was not encouraging. Tracing route to ipv6.l.google.com [2a00:1450:400c:c00::67] over a maximum of 30 hops: 0 richard-VAIO [2a00:14f0:e000:809d:5d43:9032:28f0:65c3] 1 * * * Computing statistics for 0 seconds... Source to Here This Node/Link Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address 0 richard-VAIO [2a00:14f0:e000:809d:5d43:9032:28f0:65c3] Trace complete. I've pretty much spent all day on this, and can't figure out why it wont work. :-(
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 19 November 2012 10:35:37
Tracing route to ipv6.l.google.com [2a00:1450:400c:c00::67]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
0 richard-VAIO [2a00:14f0:e000:809d:5d43:9032:28f0:65c3]
1 * * *
Actually that just shows that your laptop cannot find the gateway. Thus on that box, check (that is paste the output in the forum between [ code ] [ /code ] blocks, see the right side for examples when editing):
ipconfig /all netstat -rn
Then, first try to ping your gateway:
ping6 2a00:14f0:e000:809d::1
The form:
ping6 fe80::21c:c0ff:fec8:45a3%23
should also work (the latter link-local form is used because of the Router Advertisement). That should work and indicates that your laptop can reach the gateway. Then ping your side of the tunnel:
ping6 2a00:14f0:e000:9d::2
When that works, it also indicates that forwarding works, if it does not check it on the ubuntu box:
sysctl -a |grep forwarding
That should show '= 1' for at least eth0 and the tunnel interface (sixxs). Then ping the remote side of the tunnel (the PoP):
ping6 2a00:14f0:e000:9d::1
if that works you can most very likely reach the internet properly.
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 19 November 2012 12:37:09
Hurray, a result. All I did was add the lines you suggested to /etc/network/interfaces and edit /etc/radvd.conf changing eth0 into sixxs. Oh and then restart the machine. Then when I tried pinging ipv6.google.com, it worked. Now my windows machines have IPv6 connectivity. Windows 7 is still being awkward about Ipv6 DNS, which will be something I can look into later. The nice surprise is that DNS seems to work OK on my older Windows XP Laptop. I'm pretty sure I know why that it, I read that Windows Vista and Windows 7 prefer not to resolve Ipv6 addresses when the only IPv6 connection is a tunnel. Next however I probably better see if I can still get connectivity with UFW active. Although actually before that I have non computing things I need to get done today :-( Well now I can start experimenting with IPv6 on my laptops. Thanks very much for your help, without you I was going around in circles trying to work out what to do. Thanks. Richard.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 19 November 2012 12:43:19
edit /etc/radvd.conf changing eth0 into sixxs.
Which is wrong. You should not never do router advertisements on a tunnel interface. The 'eth0' there is correct as that is your local network, thus change that back.
Windows 7 is still being awkward about Ipv6 DNS
Windows 7 and 8 recently received an update which makes them prefer IPv4 very quickly based on the reachability of a beacon run by Microsoft....
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 19 November 2012 14:05:12
Which is wrong. You should not never do router advertisements on a tunnel interface. The 'eth0' there is correct as that is your local network, thus change that back.
OK. I must have misunderstood that part of your previous post. I've changed it back now, and it's still working :-)
Windows 7 and 8 recently received an update which makes them prefer IPv4 very quickly based on the reachability of a beacon run by Microsoft....
Shame they don't have any easy way to change that, to prefer IPv6. One idea I had (which I haven't tried yet), is to temporarily disable Windows 7's IPv4 protocol, thus forcing it to use IPv6. Obviously I would also have set it to used an IPv6 DNS. Probably a public DNS. Either that or set up a DNS cache on my own server.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker