SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

How to switch IPv4/IPv6?
[ar] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 27 September 2012 19:52:30
After getting my IPv6 connectiong working, everything seems ok, but I have some minir problems in dual (IPv4/IPv6) sites. I'm using Chrome and it normally prefers to use the IPv6 version of the sites, that's fine, but there are some exceptions. For instance when accessing Google Play (http://play.google.com), Google seems to think I'm located in Brazil (that's where my PoP is, so probably that's why) but I need that Google recognize my real location, which is Argentina, because now is showing me the prices of the apps in Brazil currency and not in Argentinian currency!! So, can I manually change the preference for IPv4 over IPv6 for some sites, or change it on the fly as needed? Thanks, Pablo
How to switch IPv4/IPv6?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 27 September 2012 22:06:20
I'm using Chrome and it normally prefers to use the IPv6 version of the sites, that's fine, but there are some exceptions.
Chrome uses a variant of Happy Eyeballs, which typically means that if a IPv6 response (be that DNS or TCP) is slower than the IPv4 equivalent it will prefer IPv4 over IPv6. It though also abides by the DNS ordering tables as per RFC 3484, which per default But if you have for instance Mac OSX, which has it's own variant of Happy Eyeballs, the ordering of DNS records also happens based on latency history and other undefined magic sauce and the result will be that typically IPv4 is preferred due to the little extra latency in the tunnel. There is no known way to turn this off though.
So, can I manually change the preference for IPv4 over IPv6 for some sites, or change it on the fly as needed?
For this unfortunately geo-location for IPv6 is really bad and typically depends on the /32 that the prefix comes from as the geo-databases do not have sufficient information....

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker