SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Linux, ipv6 route and src ip doesn't work
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 06 January 2004 22:44:53
My Linux router is one end of an ipv6-in-ipv4 tunnel. On my home lan I have a /48 subnet. If I go out from a station in the lan then its ethernet interface's global address is used as it should be. If I go out from the router machine then the ip address of the tunnel's local endpoint is used as source. So far so good, that's the correct behavior according to my routes. But now I want to set a route on the router machine to a specific subnet in the internet, and the machine should use the global address from its ethernet interface to show that it's a part of my lan. Unfortunatly the command ip -6 ro add <destination subnet> dev sixxs src <my eth0 address> is accepted but the source address is not used. An ip -6 ro ls Doesn't show the outgoing address either. Do I need a newer iproute utility, did I make a mistake or is this a linux bug? I use Debian's version of kernel 2.4.18. Regards Holger
Linux, ipv6 route and src ip doesn't work
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 06 January 2004 22:44:57
There is no source routing in Linux for the IPv6 stack as of yet. Use the source and code it yourself. Easier is a small workaround, just add the prefix you want to use as your 'global' address on the tunnel interface next to the existing endpoint.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker