SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

v6 over v4 tunnel
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 31 December 2003 22:37:47
Was any one able to get v6 over v4 tunnel working? I'm behind Netgear VFS318 cable-firewall/NAT router and I can't get this to work. Which of a low price cable/NAT routers suport proto-41? DMZ forwarding is not enough. What the NAT/PAT means(?), any sugestion, recomendation? -thanks, zb. I have 5 mix mac/win computers with wireless laptop network.
v6 over v4 tunnel
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 01 January 2004 13:44:47
D-Link DI-614+ (DSL router) is NOT working too. Maybe we should setup some sort of "blacklist" for those DSL/cable routers. The only way I managed to get IPv6 from those routers is a VPN connection to my university. (which tunnels the proto 41 traffic over UDPv4) tinc might be a solution too but your POP probably does not support it.
v6 over v4 tunnel
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 01 January 2004 16:04:08
NAT = Network Address Translation PAT = Port Address Translation See this for a nice explanation with pictures etc. Both are completely evil in a internet way of thinking. My suggestion would be to turn of the NAT/PAT in the 'router' and let a host that can terminate your IPv6 also NAT the network. The best thing to do ofcourse is debug (tcpdump) and complain to netgear.
v6 over v4 tunnel
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 06 January 2004 00:41:16
What do I need to make the host IPv4/IPv6/NAT/firewall router + a small Http/Ftp/mail server? Do 266Mhz PII can handle this job? What OS do you prefer and why? Thanks for help, links etc. :?
v6 over v4 tunnel
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 06 January 2004 00:49:10
The key issue is memory. And ofcourse how many traffic you are going to push through it makes it depend on the network interfaces and the speed of the cpu. Anything p100+128mb can push 10mbit with ease even tunneling it etc. And you can run HTTP/SMTP/FTP whatever also on the same box. But ofcourse it all depends on what volume you want and what exactly. The OS depends on everything but mostly personal taste. Pick what you want to learn, what you know how to manage... personal ;) Personally I use WinXP's for workstations and Debian GNU/Linux boxes for server type of boxes. Next to that a couple of other boxes running Net/Open/FreeBSD for testing and experimentation purposes.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker