SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Heartbeat tunnel on Synology
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 22 February 2012 12:35:14
Hello, I am trying to setup a heartbeat tunnel on my Synology DS111. I followed the howto in the wiki (IPv6 on Synology), but without success. First I had the problem that
ip tunnel
failed, since the builtin busybox doesn't know this command. After installing a new busybox via ipkg I still get errors when using any
ip tunnel
command (from the kernel ioctls). Has anyone got a heartbeat tunnel running on Synology? What kernel modules do I need (I already did
insmod tun.ko
)? Is it possible to do it without compiling new kernel modules? I already have a proto 41 rule forwarding the packets to the Synology NAS, so the firewall is not the problem (I tested it with a freetzed Fritz!box behind the router, which works fine).
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 22 February 2012 13:37:47
For the kernel portion you need the ipv6 module (logically ;) sit + tunnel4 (and related modules) for proto-41 tunnels and tun for AYIYA tunnels, note that one does not need tun for proto-41 tunnels and also not sit for AYIYA tunnels. A heartbeat tunnel is a proto-41 tunnel with a side-band heartbeat, as it is proto-41 you only need sit.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 23 February 2012 00:20:08
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately there is no sit or tunnel4 module in DSM 3.2 (the current firmware from Synology). I guess I either have to compile the modules myself or use an ayiya tunnel (this works as the tun module is present) or let my fritzbox run the tunnel.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 23 February 2012 07:42:18
If you have a Fritz!Box let it do it's work as it just works. There are a few limitations with FB though, for one one can't make multiple subnets, next to that firewall settings are odd and one can't decide which prefix to use etc. But most people can live with those.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 26 February 2012 21:54:25
I found a new solution. My d-link router is able to setup a static ipv6 in ipv4 tunnel. Now I only have heartbeat running on the NAS to keep the tunnel alive and let the router handle the tunnel. This works fine, especially since my ipv4 address is quite stable (it did not change since I switched to a new provider three months ago).
[it] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 14 October 2013 20:59:44
Jochen Hoenicke wrote:
I found a new solution. My d-link router is able to setup a static ipv6 in ipv4 tunnel. Now I only have heartbeat running on the NAS to keep the tunnel alive and let the router handle the tunnel. This works fine, especially since my ipv4 address is quite stable (it did not change since I switched to a new provider three months ago).
Hi Jochen Which script do you use on Synology? Did you install netcat/md5sum via ipkg? Thanks

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker