SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

I'm enabled, but...
[it] Carmen Sandiego on Thursday, 23 October 2003 21:32:11
Hi all, i have activated the tunnel this afternoon, i have installed the heartbeat client and configured it as requested. I have setted the tunnel before with iproute instructions. I'm not new in ipv6. I tried to ping ipv4 end point without problem, i tried to ping ipv6 but nothing. Is it just a delay in pop activation or a fault on my box? 2001:960:2:90::1 is the sixxs endpoint, 2001:960:2:90::2 is mine. Trying to see what happens pinging an ipv6, i have used iptraf tool, and the packets went out normally. Thanks in advance:) Sandro
The NTP song
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 23 October 2003 21:50:02
/me starts singing the NTP song: sync your clock... sync your clock... do it so that the heartbeats don't get dropped :) Your clock is off by 3424 seconds :) Btw, you could have mailed info@sixxs.net for a prompter response :)
I'm enabled, but...
[it] Carmen Sandiego on Thursday, 23 October 2003 22:40:50
That's true... i have not seen the clock problem.. i have rebooted after the big blackdown in italy. Now the clock is good, and ntp is working.. but ipv6 seems not :( Other suggestion? Sandro
I'm enabled, but...
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 24 October 2003 00:25:14
As said in the mail, get a better time source you are still off by 148 seconds :)
I'm enabled, but...
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 25 October 2003 15:04:09
Short HOWTO for these wanting a "good clock": a) Set timezone to a non-POSIX one. If you had the following before # ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC /etc/localtime Use the following now # ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/right/UTC /etc/localtime This applies only if your OS has the right/ subdirectory. Some OSes have the "right/" ones in "./" as well, and the broken ones are _only_ in "posix/". A comparision: -r--r--r-- 6 root bin 56 Oct 20 18:45 /usr/share/zoneinfo/posix/UTC -r--r--r-- 6 root bin 232 Oct 20 18:46 /usr/share/zoneinfo/right/UTC (this is on OpenBSD; MirBSD doesn't include posix any more) If your timezone is something like Europe/Berlin, use right/Europe/Berlin (make sure the file exists) etc. b) Download the source: $ env CVS_RSH=ssh cvs -qz3 -d mirbsd-cvs@mirbsd.bsdadvocacy.org:/cvs \ > co -PA src/usr.sbin/rdate c) Compile the source: c.1] BSD # cd src/usr.sbin/rdate; make && make install BINDIR=/usr/sbin c.2] GNU/Linux $ cd src/usr.sbin/rdate $ gcc -static -o rdate -O2 -DNO_UTIL *.c $ strip --strip-all -R .comment -R .note rdate # cp rdate /usr/sbin && chown root:bin /usr/sbin/rdate # chmod 555 /usr/sbin/rdate d) Synchronize # rdate -ncv ptbtime1.ptb.de # rdate -ncav ptbtime2.ptb.de The latter form uses the adjtime() call, which does not make the clock "jump" but slows down or speeds up the clock interrupt by a very small amount until the clocks are synched (takes some 20 or 30 minutes). It's suitable for inclusion in root's crontab. The former sets the time directly, as date(1) would do. This is good for "large" adjustments, but on BSD systems in securelevel 1 or higher, you cannot set the clock backwards. Some GNU/Linux systems just dump core when using the -a parametre. I don't know why (though I used a binary compiled under a different distro, so that may be the case). Time servers are, among the two above: ntp0.nl.net, time.nist.gov(iirc) Google helps you out -- Sample crontab line: tg@odem:/home/tg $ sudo crontab -l | fgrep rdate Password: 53 */3 * * * /usr/bin/nice -20 /usr/sbin/rdate -ncav ptbtime2.ptb.de 2>&1 | /usr/bin/logger -t 'SNTP' In case you don't have CVS, drop me an email and I will send you a tarball of these files. Or, download them one by one from cvsweb: https://MirBSD.BSDadvocacy.org:8890/active/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/rdate/ Hint: nearly the same code, but without the "compiles on GNU/Linux just fine with -DNO_UTIL" fixes, has been committed to OpenBSD as well (the leap second bug correction code contributed by yours truly), but the ntpdate maintainer refuses to accept the fix.
I'm enabled, but...
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 25 October 2003 15:50:49
You could ofcourse always run the defacto ntpd instead of the rdate in the crontab. Having a rdate on startup is a good thing though as it allows the clockjumping.
I'm enabled, but...
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 28 October 2003 05:54:42
Bear in mind that ntpd and ntpdate both don't get the leap seconds right, so you have to use the posix/ timezones for these, which are broken in respect to legal time e.g. here in Germany (means: I only have checked for my country but believe the time reported by rdate with correct right/ timezone and -nc parametres to be correct for almost any country - plus it's the same time sntpclock (from djb clockspeed) reports). The maintainer refused the fix I offered, oh my...

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker