SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

AICCU/AYIYA/FreeBSD with dynamic IP address
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 02 April 2007 17:11:16
First I start AICCU on FreeBSD 6.2 to setup an AYIYA tunnel: sock_getline() : "200 SixXS TIC Service on noc.sixxs.net ready (http://www.sixxs.net)" sock_printf() : "client TIC/draft-00 AICCU/2007.01.15-console-kame FreeBSD/6.2-RELEASE-p3" sock_getline() : "200 Client Identity accepted" sock_printf() : "get unixtime" sock_getline() : "200 1175524682" sock_printf() : "username JTSN-RIPE" sock_getline() : "200 Choose your authentication challenge please" sock_printf() : "challenge md5" sock_getline() : "200 <hash>" sock_printf() : "authenticate md5 <hash>" sock_getline() : "200 Succesfully logged in using md5 as JTSN-RIPE (Joseph Terner) from 88.73.148.46" sock_printf() : "tunnel show T7924" sock_getline() : "201 Showing tunnel information for T7924" sock_getline() : "TunnelId: T7924" sock_getline() : "Type: ayiya" sock_getline() : "IPv6 Endpoint: 2001:6f8:900:5b5::2" sock_getline() : "IPv6 POP: 2001:6f8:900:5b5::1" sock_getline() : "IPv6 PrefixLength: 64" sock_getline() : "Tunnel MTU: 1280" sock_getline() : "POP Id: deham01" sock_getline() : "IPv4 Endpoint: ayiya" sock_getline() : "IPv4 POP: 212.224.0.188" sock_getline() : "UserState: enabled" sock_getline() : "AdminState: enabled" sock_getline() : "Password: <hash>" sock_getline() : "Heartbeat_Interval: 60" sock_getline() : "202 Done" Succesfully retrieved tunnel information for T7924 sock_printf() : "QUIT I'll be back. Ha, you didn't know I was going to say that!" Tunnel Information for T7924: POP Id : deham01 IPv6 Local : 2001:6f8:900:5b5::2/64 IPv6 Remote : 2001:6f8:900:5b5::1/64 Tunnel Type : ayiya Adminstate : enabled Userstate : enabled [tun-start] Trying Configured TUN/TAP interface tun0... [tun-start] Using TUN/TAP interface tun0 [tun-start] Setting TUNSIFHEAD for tun0 [AYIYA-start] : Anything in Anything (draft-02) [AYIYA-tun->tundev] : (Socket to TUN) started The host uses a dynamic IP address which changes regulary. After a address change the tunnel is dysfunctional, because AICCU tries to send out his UDP Datagrams using the old address which leads to the followings error messages: [AYIYA-tundev->tun] : Error (-1) while sending 100 bytes to network: Operation not permitted (1) [AYIYA-tundev->tun] : Error (-1) while sending 100 bytes to network: Operation not permitted (1) [AYIYA-tundev->tun] : Error (-1) while sending 100 bytes to network: Operation not permitted (1) ... and so on ... (The network error byself is caused by the packet filter, which does not allow to send out packets with an source address unequal to that on the interface. There is no routing going to be happen with an dynamic IP address.) sockstat(1) shows, that AICCU binds a specific IP address and uses this address, even after the address changes on the interface. This of course doesn't work because then this address belongs to someone else. root sixxs-aicc 11424 4 udp4 88.73.148:46:64457 212.224.0.188:5072 Is there any other way than restarting AICCU every time an IP address change occurs to restore connectivity? Should not AICCU detect this condition and reconnect automatically?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 10 April 2007 10:41:00
Hallo Joseph, I use FreeBSD 6-STABLE and AICCU from ports. With the heartbeat protocol (which I heard is more robust) I don't have any issues with a new dynamic IP (I get disconnected after 24h). But on the other hand, I don't have such restrictive packet filter settings (even though I doubt they cause these issues). Regards, Dejan
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 12 April 2007 19:16:09
I know the heartbeat protocol with 6in4 works fine, I have a 6in4 tunnel running without any glitches. Of course, the first thing I tried was adjusting the packet filter settings. But letting AICCU send out his AYIYA/UDP frames with the old (and now invalid) IP address changes nothing. Even if the frames reach their destination (some ISPs filter out forged IP addresses), the response of the PoP get lost. AICCU could bind a wildcard socket for UDP instead a specific IP address. This would fix the problem, I think.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 08 May 2007 15:01:44
AICCU doesn't bind a socket, not in the sense of bind() that is. What it does is, it uses a connected UDP socket, thus using connect(), which does imply a bind(). The problem here does not happen when you are behind a NAT. As then the NAT gives you a static IPv4 address, and the IP change happens on the NAT. When you are not behind a NAT, or when your local address changes, the socket is trying to send from a wrong address. This is what breaks. I've added this to the fixup list, for the next upcoming release.
[ru] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 29 September 2014 10:41:19
Are there any plans to release the fix? My 3G ISP gives me new NATed IP every couple of hours or so. Is aiccu restart on address change acceptable workaround for the issue? Leonid.
[se] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 20 April 2010 11:59:12
Has this fix been released? (I'm having the same problem using dialup with a 3G modem. It gives me a new non-NATed IP every 24 hours). Thanks, /Lars

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker