SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Windows XP as Router
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 03 August 2003 19:45:43
Does anybody here have Windows XP as a IPv6 router? I haven't got a subnet yet so I can't setup it up yet. I haven't found any information/experience elsewhere. I am just searching for some information before I try it myself.
Windows XP as Router
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 04 August 2003 02:46:41
Check How do I configure my machine to setup the IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel to the SixXS POP?. There are some handy links in there pointing to the Microsoft documentation which state how to do it. In short you will need the following: ipv6 rtu <prefix>/64 <interface-id> pub life 1800 ipv6 ifc <interface-id> forw adv the rtu command assigns a prefix to the interface which gets published. The ifc command reconfigures the interface to do router advertising of the assigned prefix and ofcourse forwading of these packets aka let the box act as a gateway.
Windows XP as Router
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 04 August 2003 23:27:07
Maby it is a good idea to add this to the FAQ here: How do I give connectivity to other hosts on my subnet? FAQ-Subnetting I don't know how many people only use Windows at home (but I do)... and it would be nice to use a windows based router for IPv6 trafic [edit] Updated link [/edit]
Windows XP as Router
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 04 August 2003 13:31:48
"Euwww... Mommy that Robin person uses the IPv4 host!!!" *evil grin* Btw you can make a link using [ link ] <url> [ desc ] <desc> [ /desc ][ /link ] Without the spaces around the []'s Using Subnets
Windows XP as Router
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 04 August 2003 14:28:28
Oops... the problem is my Windows Workstation only has IPv4 yet when I got a subnet (I can request it tomorrow) I hopefully can use IPv6 on my workstation to... only my server has IPv6 / IPv4 dual stack....
Windows XP as Router
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 05 August 2003 14:12:14
It seems I can't get it to work.... Any one here who can help me? I tried the ipv6 commands and the netsh commands
ipv6 rtu [MySubnet]/60 4 pub ipv6 ifc 4 forw adv
netsh interface ipv6 add route [MySubnet]/60 4 publish=yes netsh interface ipv6 set interface 4 forward=enabled advertise=enabled
I assigned the prefix to my LAN interface is this the right one? or do I need to use the SiXXs interface I created with:
netsh interface ipv6 add v6v4tunnel SixXS [MyIPv4] [POPIPv4] netsh interface ipv6 add address SixXS [MyIPv6] netsh interface ipv6 add route [POPIpv6]/127 SixXS netsh interface ipv6 add route 0::/0 SixXS
I Got the folowing routes on my server now:
Publ. Type Met Voorvoegsel Idx Naam gateway/interface ------- -------- ---- ------------------------ --- ------------------------ yes Handmatig 0 [MySubnet]/60 4 LAN no Handmatig 1 ::/0 9 SixXS no Handmatig 1 [POPIpv6]/127 9 SixXS
And this one on my Client(s)
Publ. Type Met Voorvoegsel Idx Naam gateway/interface ------- -------- ---- ------------------------ --- ------------------------ no Automatische configuratie 8 [MySubnet]/60 4 LAN
Windows XP as Router
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 05 August 2003 15:29:25
I changed the /60 to /64 and now my client get's an IPv6 ip address from the range but Pinging / tracing doesn't work :'(
Windows XP as Router
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 05 August 2003 17:54:46
It's quite logical that RA'ing a /60 won't do much good as a /64 goes on a link. Also you might want to try enabling forwarding on more interfaces. You will at least need to turn it on for the tunnel interface and for the interface where your network is on. For the rest try the Network Monitor, Ethereal or ofcourse tcpdump to find out what is going on...
Windows XP as Router
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 05 August 2003 20:12:36
I got it working now *D *D *D I forgot to publis the routes from the SixXS tunnel intreface |:( |:( |:( maby it is a good idea to add the following script for Windows XP to the FAQ:
netsh interface ipv6 add v6v4tunnel SixXS [YourIPv4] [POPIPv4] netsh interface ipv6 add address SixXS [YourIPv6] netsh interface ipv6 add route [POPIPv6]/[IPv6Prefix] SixXS publish=yes netsh interface ipv6 add route 0::/0 SixXS publish=yes netsh interface ipv6 add route [SubNetPrefix]/64 [LANIFID] publish=yes netsh interface ipv6 set interface SixXS forwarding=enabled netsh interface ipv6 set interface [LANIFID] forwarding=enabled advertise=enabled
Windows XP as Router
[it] Carmen Sandiego on Wednesday, 15 September 2004 14:09:57
hi there, I'm training to use my xp as a router, and i'm following the command posted, but can anyone explain me that what is [LANIFID] and where i can find it ? Regards, and thanks ..
Windows XP as Router
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 16 September 2004 08:57:37
training? :) The "LANIFID" is either the number of the interface or the name of it, normally it will default to "Ethernet Cable" or something similar, though you can rename them in Network Connections (or the registry ;).
Windows XP as Router
[it] Carmen Sandiego on Thursday, 16 September 2004 21:49:16
ops, sorry for my english :) anyway, i tried to use my win xp (pro) as a router, but i doesnt`work. My situation is: Xp (gw whit the sixxs /48) linux (client,whit only the modules of ipv6 loaded) can anyone that had this experience, can explain me what command i must use on the windows to share my ipv6 and the other for the linux i need to set :X Thanks and Regards.
Windows XP as Router
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 17 September 2004 08:35:00
How about reading the FAQ ? Or showing what you have done, because we can't smell it now can we ? :)
Windows XP as Router
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 17 September 2004 08:34:20
See the Windows FAQ it has been in there almost the same as you are showing above for quite some time already even including explaination of what what command does

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker