SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Linux SMP Problems
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Tuesday, 01 July 2003 22:51:59
Fellow IPv6 Experimenters, today I upgraded my (so far pretty stable) IPv6 router from one to two CPUs. The Kernel (2.2.25) didn't change, it was SMP-enabled before. Right after the update strange behaviour has begun: After running my IPv6 setup script for the first time, ifconfig dropped a segmentation fault on any kind of action (but did the requested action correctly) After a few minutes of IPv6 being up, the kernel panics with "tried to kill idle task". I tried to upgrade to 2.4.21 with basically the same behaviour (2.4.21 just reboots without notice :> ) The system has been up without IPv6 now for over an hour, with various "make -j8" tests and seems to run as stable as before, so I'm far away from blaming the new processors. I am still examining this strange behaviour and would be very thankful for any kind of suggestion ... Kind regards, Michael Beck
Linux SMP Problems
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 01 July 2003 23:30:41
Michael, I'm running Red Hat 9.0 on a dual Athlon MP 2000+ system with the following kernel: [tez@cybernoid tez]$ uname -a Linux cybernoid.spilsby.net 2.4.20-18.9smp #1 SMP Wed Jun 25 11:19:23 BST 2003 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux The only difference between the stock Red Hat kernel and my own version is the addition of NeTraverse's Win4Lin patches. Nothing else added or taken away. Unfortunately, I don't have a 2.2.x machine to test with... but I can confirm that IPv6 *does* work with current 2.4.x kernels. If you have a broadband connection, you might want to consider downloading an ISO of Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.net/) and booting your SMP machine with that to see if you can replicate the issue with a 2.4.x-based kernel. Knoppix doesn't touch your hard disk in any way so it won't break your existing setup. I suggest you try it - at least you will know then if it is kernel-related or SMP-related, eh ?
Linux SMP Problems
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Tuesday, 01 July 2003 23:59:13
Terry, thanks for your message and the confirmation that IPv6 in linux is SMP-safe. I guess I have to blame myself for the odd system - it's a RedHat 6.2 which has been updated over the years so there must be some kind of undesired interaction :( I've had different other problems with 2.4 kernels with this particular machine, perhaps it's time for an update. Let's see if I can solve it without upgrading the whole box to RH9 :) And thanks for the knoppix hint, it's on the way through my not-so-broadband pipe :) To be continued...
Linux SMP Problems
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 01 July 2003 23:53:51
IMHO you will be better off reporting this behaviour to the smp list along with the oops etc. I would almost have guessed it was a motherboard (apic, procs) problem, but apparently you can do a make -j8, which should cause it to die either way. I know of several smp boxes using SMP and IPv6 on Linux without any problems. I do even recall running a dual p2 266 in 1998 or something along with IPv6 enabled which was prolly a early 2.2.x then. But that was on a p2b-ds ;)
Linux SMP Problems
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Wednesday, 02 July 2003 00:01:34
sure, I'll report everything I have as soon as the problem is solved ...
Linux SMP Problems
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Sunday, 20 July 2003 01:46:57
Update: The problem was solved - one of the new processors was indeed defective and failed very unpredictively, which I really didn't suspect. (Murphy ..) Anyways, there's still one useful conclusion from this dilemma: *never* try to compile ipv6 as a module on SMP systems with 2.2.25. It crashes the machine within minutes. Compiled into the kernel it works like a charm. Michael

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker