SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Using the local ipv6 tunnel endpoint as source address for outgoing packets?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 28 March 2003 19:15:00
Hi, I have a tunnel and range at SixXS, which are both working wonderfully. However, I noticed that when I send packets over ipv6 from the machine acting as a router, the source address of those packets is the local ipv6 endpoint address of my tunnel. I seem to remember having read that that's a bad idea, though I can't find any reference to that anymore (it'd make sense though). Is there any way I can set up my (debian linux) router machine to use an address in my range instead of the local ipv6 tunnel endpoint address? Any pointers greatly appreciated :). Regards, Arnout
[se] Carmen Sandiego on Saturday, 29 March 2003 23:12:09
I would like something like that aswell. I've finally managed to get my /48 and radvd to provide ipv6 internet access to all computers on my LAN. But when I i.e ssh to a remote IPv6 enabled machine I run into this problem aswell. Even due my LAN machines got IPs from my /48 it shows my IPv6 tunnel endpoint in the remote machines logs :? It kinda looks like NAT of somekind...
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 07 April 2003 09:27:10
Just adding an IP6 address to your tunnelinterface after setting it up works fine for me... For instance: /sbin/ip addr add 3ffe:8114:2000:1234::1/128 dev sixxs I noticed the public IP used will be the last address you added to the interface. Hope this helps. Cheers Mark
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 07 April 2003 16:54:36
That indeed 'solves' the problem, but it is a result of a side effect of the 'default address selection' routines as implemented in the default linux branch. There is some work being done to allow a 'loopback' IP to be set so that new outgoing connections from a machine will always use that IP. Do note that upstreams filter prefixes not belonging to them. Btw: there is no problem in using the tunnelendpoints as they are globally routable. Though ofcourse if one uses unnumbered tunnels that won't work.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 05 May 2003 10:39:17
Reading rfc3484, it looks like that if the default address selection implementation follows the rfc (and yes, that's a big if :)), there will not be a problem with tunnels having non-global-scope addresses: -startquote- if Scope(SA) < Scope(SB): If Scope(SA) < Scope(D), then prefer SB and otherwise prefer SA. Similarly, if Scope(SB) < Scope(SA): If Scope(SB) < Scope(D), then prefer SA and otherwise prefer SB. -endquote- (SA = first candidate source address, SB = second candidate source address, D = destination address) In other words, when connecting to a global-scope address, if both a global-scope and a non-global-scope address is available, the algorithm will choose the global-scope address.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker