SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

static tunnel: ping6 works, nothing else
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 09 September 2004 17:13:15
This was sent to info@sixxs.net, but I post it here as general information; maybe it helps someone else too. I have succesfully operated a heartbeat tunnel to the nlams04 POP (Scarlet) from behind a NAT (Draytek Vigor 2200E, firmware 2.3.8 (latest)) under both Linux and WinXP without any trouble whatsoever: I can ping6 hosts, hosts can ping6 me and my SSH server is accessible from the outside over IPv6. This works great, thank you SixXS! I had primarily intended this tunnel to be for usage on my non-24/7 WinXP host. Now, after 1 week, I'm trying to get a second (static) tunnel working on a (24/7) linux host to the nlams05 POP (SurfNet), and I find that I can ping6 back and forth without problems, but not transfer any other kind of traffic; I tested with tcpdump on the sixxs tunnel device: SSH to the outside: only shows outgoing packets. SSH from the outside: nada, zero, zilch, zippo. No packets. This leaves me to believe that packets can go out, but not in, and that the problem is in the NAT box; I tried both with and without using the DMZ feature, but this doesn't seem to make any difference. I even tried this method: - set up the dynamic tunnel using AICCU - stop AICCU - verify that I still have a fully functional IPv6 connection - change the local ip6 address and remote ip4 endpoint of the sixxs tunnel, and the default route to match the static tunnel parameters ...but I still end up in the aforementioned situation: ping6 works, nothing else. I'm realizing now that a ping6 packet is probably not proto-41 but ICMP, and that's why it is getting through, right? I've already sent mail to SixXS to make the second tunnel a heartbeat tunnel to solve my problems.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 09 September 2004 17:27:32
nothing else. I'm realizing now that a ping6 packet is probably not proto-41 but ICMP, and that's why it is getting through, right?
*buzzz* wrong. At least, if you are sending the ICMPv6 packet over the tunnel, it will simply go into the tunnel, which is protocol-41. Use tcpdump and you will see. And dump the underlying interface, not the tunnel itself.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 11 September 2004 16:13:05
I got your mail and changed the tunnel to heartbeat... I figured I had to specially request the change because when requesting the second tunnel it said that you could have only heartbeat tunnel, and had to request it if you wanted more. Anyway, I changed the tunnel type to heartbeat and I still have te same problem as before... It may be that the configuration update hasn't gotten through to the POP yet though, since it has been only 5 minutes. I will keep trying and posting. Thanks for the help so far! Edit: after two days, I still have the same problem; the SurfNet tunnel only does ping6, the Scarlet tunnel works flawlessly. Also check out the topic by Jan Bakkes ("ping6 tracert6 works visit ipv6 sites work not", https://noc.sixxs.net/forum/?msg=setup-153825) who seems to have exactly the same problem!

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker