SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

How can one use IPv6 with dynamic prefixes?
[gr] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 04 June 2016 14:50:56
This all started with the "Call Your ISP for IPv6" initiative. I use Sixxs for years now and one thing that I enjoy is the static IPv6 assignment. Your message got me convinced to switch to my ISP's IPv6 since they are providing dynamic IPv6 prefixes for a couple of months now, so I spent a considerably amount of days trying to set things up. I failed miserably... The question is this: How can one possibly use IPv6 with dynamic IPv6 prefix assignments on a non-flat home network? * With IPv4 I have partitioned my home network to meet my requirements (e.g. a guest wireless network, etc) using non-ISP equipment behind the DSL router. Since I do NAT with IPv4, things are working fine. * With sixxs I also assigned static IPv6 subnets to these network partitions and things work great. However, with the dynamic nature of the ISP's IPv6, that's not possible. Obviously any kind of static IPv6 assignment is out of the question and since the DSL router doesn't do IPv6 NAT (good), I can't see how it can be done. If this is the norm and IPv6 should be used on a flat network, then what's the point of my ISP assigning a /56 network to me and this being the suggested prefix delegation? Wouldn't a /64 be enough? What am I missing? I would greatly appreciate any insight and pointers on reading materials.
[gr] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 04 June 2016 17:15:13
Just to clarify, I'm referring to a home network that receives a /56 IPv6 dynamic prefix with DHCP6-PD.
[hu] Carmen Sandiego on Monday, 19 September 2016 14:13:07
Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
Just to clarify, I'm referring to a home network that receives a /56 IPv6 dynamic prefix with DHCP6-PD.
The problem you're facing is called renumbering. There are some rfc's on the way, but I doubt there are wide spread stable implementations. Take a look at these: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4192 http://meetings.ripe.net/ripe-50/presentations/ripe50-ipv6-renumbering.pdf Dynamic allocation isn't necessary with IPv6, and IETF is also pushing for static prefixes, but ISP's are bad on changing old habits.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker