SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

subnet ipv6 autoconfiguration as dhcpd in ipv4
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 08 September 2004 10:06:03
Hello, I have a freebsd 5.2.1 ipv6 router which is connected to the ipv6 world using a tunnel. Which works well. Now i have a routed ipv6 subnet on my lan. Which also works if i uses static address configuration. But i want ipv6 stateless autoconfiguration so that my xp grabs the right ipv6 from the lan. But this doesn't works for me. I run the rtadvd server on my freebsd with that config: sis0:addrs#1:addr="2001:6f8:XXXX::":prefixlen#48:tc=ether: and the xp client is able to ping 2001:6f8:XXXX::1 which is the freebsd box. But if i try to reach an external ipv6 it didn't work, the cause is that my xp has only the predefined ipv6 addresses but not an offical subnet address. How could i setup my freebsd to give my xp an ipv6 address from my subnet. thanks in advance meno
subnet ipv6 autoconfiguration as dhcpd in ipv4
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 08 September 2004 11:44:01
First off, DHCP == statefull (state kept by the dhcp server and client) autoconfiguration, while using RA's to autoconfigure is stateless. The configuration should be: sis0:addrs#1:addr="2001:6f8:xXXX::":prefixlen#64:tc=ether: A /64 and not a /48 (65535 /64's ;) ) What you then should check: - if rtadvd didn't stop/abort, can happen, check the logs - routes on the BSD box, if they are correctly pointing to the correct interfaces - if the BSD box itself - forwarding is properly activated on the BSD box - tcpdump if the RA's actually get received by the XP box. Then it should work ;)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker