SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

6RD configuration: what routed prefix, length etc to use?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 09 May 2016 22:40:01
I want to configure my 6rd enabled router to use 6rd to connect to SIXXS. From the information on the website, wiki en forum I gather that this is possible. However, the description is too complicated for me. I got another 6rd gateway to work on my Linksys WRT54GL router (with Tomato "Shibby" firmware). What parameters to use for SIXXS? 6rd Routed Prefix ? 6rd Prefix Length ? 6RD Tunnel Border Relay (IPv4 Address): ipv4 address of the Pop (I suppose) 6RD IPv4 Mask Length ? I tried a few combinations with my tunnel en subnet prefix, but did not get it to work. Too complicated for me is the following: The FAQ says: "FAQ : Connectivity (Tunnels and Subnets) : IPv6 Transition Mechanism / Tunneling Comparison footnote 12 = 6rd uses proto-41 as a basis, one needs to configure the manually with the tunnel prefix as a /64 and the IPv4 address of the PoP with prefix length 32." The Forum gives: "6rd and SixXS There are CPE (Customer Premise Equipment) devices that support 6rd, but that do not directly support 6in4 tunnels. As 6in4, 6to4 and 6rd all use protocol-41 tunnels, one can configure such a device also as a 6to4 (using the 2002::/16 prefix) and normal static 6in4 tunnel. For using a 6rd enabled device with SixXS, configure the IPv4 prefix length to a /32, set the remote IPv4 address to that of the PoP and configure the full IPv6 local endpoint on the device. This should bring the tunnel up. One can then separately configure the subnet on the device to route the default subnet or a larger /48 subnet to the network behind the device. "
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 10 May 2016 04:21:57
Linksys WRT54GL router (with Tomato "Shibby" firmware).
If you have Tomato, you can just configure a normal proto41 tunnel. Of course that only works if you actually have a public IPv4 address. Did you btw ask your ISP for native IPv6?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 10 May 2016 17:42:36
Thx, I think that I was reading the instructions the "wrong way around". It works now. SIXXS doest not directly provide a 6RD gateway, but one can use the 6RD capabilities of a router to address a SIXXS static (or heartbeat) tunnel. right? I converted my tunnel from AYIYA to heartbeat, and configured a static tunnel on my router. Heartbeats come from another computer on my net that runs AICCU. I still have to fix something yet to let my router generate the heartbeats. BTW: before I dared putting my question on the forum I did indeed call my ISP :-) Tele2 NL is not about to bring ipv6 natively, but the do have a 6RD in Sweden. This gives me funny swedish results from Google and swedish Netflix. The helpdesk could agree that this is an extra argument to do something about ipv6. :-)
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 11 May 2016 06:32:13
SIXXS doest not directly provide a 6RD gateway
6rd is just the way that a standard static proto-41 gateway is configured. Hence, with the right configuration, even a SixXS PoP with a static tunnel can be configured in a 6rd setting. That does not mean that you should be bothering with that though.
I converted my tunnel from AYIYA to heartbeat, and configured a static tunnel on my router.
Those are three incompatible tunnel types. Only a static tunnel is compatible with 6rd, none other.
Tele2 NL is not about to bring ipv6 natively, but the do have a 6RD in Sweden.
It is 2016, and they clearly where very extremely well aware that IPv6 was coming that they bothered with a 6rd gateway. What is odd though is that they chose 6rd for that, as the configuration must be very very funny for that thing.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker