SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Tunnel only works when native IPv6 is off
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 04 April 2016 21:49:53
Hi! Im on a freshly installed Debian Jessie, my internet access is dual stacked, and Im behind a Fritz!Box router, which my provider forces upon me. The provider provides native IPv6 which is fine, except that the prefix changes every day, making it difficult to access my laptop from outside. I have registered a SixXS tunnel some while ago, but not tested it much yet. The tunnel seems to work, but only if I turn off the native IPv6. I cant do this in the router anymore, because the interface has been changed remotely. On my laptop, it has no use to change /etc/network/interfaces, because regardless of what I try to do, the IPv6 address will be re-added to eth0 a few seconds after entering ifup. Is it possible to use both IPv6 adresses on the same machine the one from the router, and the tunnel endpoint? If not, how can I disable the IPv6 adress my provider provides? Thanks in advance, Thomas
Tunnel only works when native IPv6 is off
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 04 April 2016 21:53:57
Im on a freshly installed Debian Jessie, my internet access is dual stacked, and Im behind a Fritz!Box router, which my provider forces upon me.
There is a law in Germany that will be effective per August 2016 which prohibits that.
The provider provides native IPv6 which is fine, except that the prefix changes every day, making it difficult to access my laptop from outside.
You will want to look for a solution for this. SixXS will not be around for ever. DynDNS is one of many forms of solutions. Bugging your provider for a proper static prefix and/or chosing a provider that properly provides such a static prefix is another.
The tunnel seems to work, but only if I turn off the native IPv6. I cant do this in the router anymore, because the interface has been changed remotely.
Who changed what interface?
On my laptop, it has no use to change /etc/network/interfaces, because regardless
of what I try to do, the IPv6 address will be re-added to eth0 a few seconds after entering ifup.
Likely there is a prefix being announced using Router Advertisements. You should be able to disable those on the device announcing them and of course disable them on the device receiving them.
If not, how can I disable the IPv6 adress my provider provides?
You should be using the native IPv6 provided by your ISP. Tunneled IPv6 is inferior to native IPv6.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker