SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Packet loss/No data through tunnel after a while
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 28 May 2015 09:27:06
Hello, i have some strange issues with my tunnel. I use a raspberry pi with Raspian, aiccu and radvd in my LAN. When starting aicuu i have access to IPv6 content from the raspberry and also other clients in the network. After some time (the period differs) i have a 100% packet loss. I run ping6 google.com to see if the connection is still there. At some point of time, the ping won't get any responses any more. The only way to get it back to work is to restart aiccu, then it is working again for a while. No difference if i run the ping6 on the raspberry or any other client. Here are some details: IPS: Unitymedia with IPv4 only PoP: dedus01 Tunnel: T166625 User: DTQ6-SIXXS Thanks for any information to solve this issue. Kind regards Dieter
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 28 May 2015 09:51:22
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 28 May 2015 12:08:36
Jeroen Massar wrote: Thanks for the links. I saw it before in the FAQ but was not sure if this applies to me. Still not sure if that is the right thing. I use the raspberry only as a aiccu server behind a TP-Link Router. So the rapberry does nothing with nat, or do i get this wrong? I tried the two iptables commands from the faq, the first one complains about an unknown protocol ! iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING --proto ! 41 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE The second one does not throw any errors, but i still lose connection after 500-700 icmp packets. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Dieter
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 28 May 2015 12:44:39
So the rapberry does nothing with nat, or do i get this wrong?
Note that the problem is connection tracking, not NAT. Typically though NAT (or PAT as it really is called in most cases) implies that you get connection tracking (for instance to handle ICMP coming back from the Internet). If iptables is loaded on the raspberry then you got connection tracking there. As you let the NAT perform by an external device, that one also has connection tracking and thus can cause problems.
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING --proto ! 41 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
Are you doing connection tracking on that device? Also, as you are behind another NAT, are you using protocol 41 tunnel?
The second one does not throw any errors, but i still lose connection after 500-700 icmp packets.
If you are sending packets continuously then connection tracking state would stay updated and thus does not time out. Hence, in that scenario, that would not be the problem then.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 28 May 2015 13:51:11
Jeroen Massar wrote:
If iptables is loaded on the raspberry then you got connection tracking there.
iptables were not loaded when i reported my problem. I enabled it to try the suggesions in the faq. So it was not there when the problem occurred the first time.
As you let the NAT perform by an external device, that one also has connection tracking and thus can cause problems.
So if it is my router, there is not much i can do about? Apart from replacing it.
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING --proto ! 41 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE Are you doing connection tracking on that device?
That was on the raspberry and i did not do connection tracking. Maybe this came when enabling iptables but before this was not enabled.
Also, as you are behind another NAT, are you using protocol 41 tunnel?
I am not sure. I set up the PI by this tutorial: http://www.lug-stormarn.de/index.php/infos/12-ipv6-in-jedem-lan I am quite new to IPv6 topics and this was actually thought to get a bit more familiar with it. I also received an email that my account is disabled due to the high number of connects. I think this is because i restated aiccu several times. Dieter

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker