SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Windows ( 7 & 8.1) looses ipv6 default route and DNS after 30 minutes
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 05 January 2015 20:18:26
i playing around with my fritzbox, a few Windows Computers and ipv6. Ist working out of the box after activation ipv6, but after exactly 30 Minutes the Default route and the DNS is removed. This can be undone only by reestablishing the Connection (Disconnect/Connect or Disable/Enable). It looks like Windows threads the "Router Lifetime" from the first router advertisement as the maximum time this route is valid and ignores futher RA. Anyone else this behaviour? Is there a solution? Emmo
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 06 January 2015 07:41:39
Sounds like you have multicast issues in your network. Are you using wireless or wired connectivity? Do you have any firewalls (software/hardware etc) in place?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 06 January 2015 13:57:40
Jeroen Massar wrote:
Sounds like you have multicast issues in your network.
"netsh int ipv6 Show join" Shows 6 Groups (win7) and 3 Groups (win8.1) ff01::1,ff01::2,... i guess multicast is running.
Are you using wireless or wired connectivity?
Windows 7 wired and Windows 8.1 wireless.
Do you have any firewalls (software/hardware etc) in place?
No ( Win7) and yes (win 8.1) I have to mention that the router is a Fritzbox 7490 (Firmware 6.23) and all Linux based installations (partly as virtual machines) do not have this Problem. Emmo
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 06 January 2015 14:01:38
"netsh int ipv6 Show join" Shows 6 Groups (win7) and 3 Groups (win8.1) ff01::1,ff01::2,...
i guess multicast is running.
Multicast should always be running. There are devices though that drop it. And when you don't get receive the RAs, which are sent using multicast, then your IPv6 will fail.
Are you using wireless or wired connectivity?
Windows 7 wired and Windows 8.1 wireless.
Wireless can have issues with multicast being dropped. I can only suggest to start running Wireshark on the clients that are failing and checking if the RA packets are arriving properly.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 06 January 2015 14:31:54
Jeroen Massar wrote:
I can only suggest to start running Wireshark on the clients that are failing and checking if the RA packets are arriving properly.
I run already M$ Network Monitor, it shows one Initial router solicitation and ist answer and the unsoliticated router anouncments every 10 minutes... But i have no prove that the Windows tcpip6 stack recieve and handle them properly. Emmo
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 06 January 2015 14:40:14
Emmo Emminghaus wrote:
Jeroen Massar wrote:
I can only suggest to start running Wireshark on the clients that are failing and checking if the RA packets are arriving properly.
I run already M$ Network Monitor, it shows one Initial router solicitation and ist answer and the unsoliticated router anouncments every 10 minutes... But i have no prove that the Windows tcpip6 stack recieve and handle them properly. Emmo
If Network Monitor sees them then at least your wireless is delivering them, hence then it is likely not a multicast issue for the distribution part. Next step is starting to verify your Firewall rules and any kind of "Anti-Virus" you are running; indeed AV can break IPv6.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker