SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Non-SixXS Question: IPv6 between Linux and WinXP
[se] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 30 June 2004 19:28:08
First I just want to say to the SixXS staff and everybody who made this possible, thanks. I got my tunnel working yesterday and it's working really good, nice to see a usable IPv6 tunnel broker service (with less than 500ms latency that is!). 8-) Now, on to the question... As I said my tunnel is working nice and I'm waiting to get credits enough for a subnet so I can get my main computer up and running too. In the meantime, I would like to get a simple connection between my 2 computers, server/router running Linux 2.6.x and workstation running WinXP SP1. Since I'm a newbie when it comes to IPv6 (I'm no networking pro either though), I need some help setting this up. First, what kinds of adresses am I supposed to use? I have my SixXS on the Linux eth0 interface (out), and want a IPv6 link between eth1 (in) and my workstation. Second of all, how do I set this up, on both the computers? I do realize that I won't get any internet access using IPv6 on the workstation but that's not needed, at least not until I get a subnet. Help would be appreciated.
[se] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 01 July 2004 19:57:05
After an additional 2 hours of googling, I managed to find something in the FreeBSD manual regarding IPv6-addresses. So I went with ffe::1 and ffe::2 for the server and workstation respectively - that's fine, right? Seems to ping alright but I'm not sure about real traffic yet, having some trouble which I'm looking into right now. Edit: OK, this works fine now. Only problem left is internet access for the XP box - do I really have to wait until I can get a subnet? ;(
[us] Carmen Sandiego on Saturday, 03 July 2004 12:33:57
A week is a nice time to read some background info about IPv6, for example the [url]http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/[/url] or perhaps the FAQs on this site. After that, you are ready to rock-n-roll Forum picture
[se] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 03 July 2004 12:55:40
Yes, but at first I thought I should wait for a month to get a subnet, since I want reverse DNS too (and can't request that before I have 15+15 credits). I'll request a subnet next week and manage without the DNS instead. Thanks anyway for the response ;)
[us] Carmen Sandiego on Sunday, 04 July 2004 00:15:36
Requesting a subnet is 10 points, approval is 4 and reverse dns is 1 point: in total 15 points. You can request this after a week (see "Most users will have the following credit plan" in the credit-FAQ section). Anyway I am also too lazy for a reverse DNS B-)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker