SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Suggestion: Tunnel: Endpoint: static DNS
[es] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 26 June 2004 20:46:42
Currently you support: Dynamic IPv4 endpoint Static IPv4 endpoint Is it possible to have something like Static DNS endpoint? I have a DNS always pointing to my IP (which changes randomly in time, from a day to a month [dynamic DHCP]). I have a small script that connects to the server and updates the DNS so it points to my IP each time I boot. Is it possible to tell the your system to have the DNS instead of the IP, so I won't have to use the heartbeat system?
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 26 June 2004 22:13:20
These routes are IP based so this is not possible, that's why the heartbeat system exists by the way -- for changing IP addresses.
[es] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 27 June 2004 12:58:26
Agreed. I made a linux script to have this done automatically on each boot. (My IP doesn't change while online, it can only change during shut down periods.) Shall I post my script, in case someone wants it?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 27 June 2004 15:12:57
When you update the IP address using a script it will have two major problems: - if the website changes (or whatever method you are using) then you will have to rewrite the script. - it will cost you 25 credits every time you change it. The major reason why we created the heartbeat protocol is to make sure that the change of IP is immediate and when the heartbeats are not received that the tunnel gets shut down, thus making sure that tunneled packets are not sent to an unsuspecting host, which might blaze all it's alarm bells and cause us to receive another stupid abuse report created by some automated software program which sees 'weird protocol 41 traffic which should not be there' and actually that program is completely correct. Is there any problem with running the heartbeat software that you don't want it running all the time?
[es] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 28 June 2004 02:52:05
You missunderstood me. I do use the heartbeat program inside the script. The problem is that my IP only changes if I leave my computer off for some hours. It does not change elsewhere. What the script does is just create the tunnel, detect the IPv4 address and create the tunnel. After that, it calls the heartbeat program and does nothing more... it's obvious that when I boot into linux, I gotta bring up the tunnel manually (that's what the script does, nothing more)... what's the problem with that? Please, check and tell me which is the offending line so I understand what you mean (I followed the Gentoo guide, as you suggested): IPv6_interface="eth0" IPv6_popserver="<not shown>" (The IPv4 POP server address) IPv6_addr="<not shown>" (The IPv6 address I was assigned) my_ip=$(/sbin/ifconfig | /bin/grep ${IPv6_interface} -A 1 | /bin/grep "inet addr" | /bin/tr ' ' '\n' | /bin/grep "addr" | /bin/cut -b 6-); /sbin/ip tunnel add sixbone mode sit remote ${IPv6_popserver} local ${my_ip} ttl 64 dev ${IPv6_interface} /sbin/ip link set sixbone mtu 1280 /sbin/ip link set sixbone up /sbin/ip addr add ${IPv6_addr} dev sixbone /sbin/ip route add 2000::/3 dev sixbone /usr/bin/heartbeat-client /etc/sixxs-heartbeat.conf
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 28 June 2004 09:06:36
Read your own post, as that is not what you said. Neither did I say to use Gentoo (I am personally a Debian fan when talkin about lowcost *nix boxes) Next to that, everybody uses some sort of script to setup their tunnel, or did you think that thousands of people are typing it in everytime?. Setting the local IPv4 address is not required btw as the heartbeat tool will change it anyway, unless the static option is used inside the heartbeat configuration file.
[es] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 28 June 2004 09:54:24
Alright, perhaps I understood something different when you were talking about the heartbeat system... I was thinking in one thing and you in another... BTW, I don't like Debian fans :P j/k ;)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker