SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

New to IPv6 and Could Use a Bit of Help
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 05 December 2014 15:13:11
I am trying to connect to my home LAN via my android device and my ISP has recently gone IPv6 only. I created a tunnel and now can reach my Android device via IPv6 but cannot access IPv6 sites from my device. Did I set this up wrong? I seem to have succeeded in the reverse of my goal. Any and all help would be much appreciated. I plan on beginning my CCNA certification track soon and this would help me understand the concepts for that as well. Thank you for reading.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 05 December 2014 15:16:25
I created a tunnel and now can reach my Android device via IPv6 but cannot access IPv6 sites from my device.
Please explain how you can do the first but not the latter? What tools are you using? Any technical details?
I plan on beginning my CCNA certification track soon and this would help me understand the concepts for that as well.
You'll have to start reading a lot and asking better questions with more details...
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 05 December 2014 21:07:55
Jeroen Massar wrote:
> I created a tunnel and now can reach my Android device via IPv6 but cannot access IPv6 sites from my device. Please explain how you can do the first but not the latter? What tools are you using? Any technical details?
I plan on beginning my CCNA certification track soon and this would help me understand the concepts for that as well.
You'll have to start reading a lot and asking better questions with more details...
Thanks for the reply Jeroen. I can ping my Android's IPv6 address from within my LAN but cannot ping any IPv6 addresses from my phone. As you can see I'm very green regarding IPv6 and, as with any subject, the ability to formulate better questions is more of an intermediate skill. I'll get there but we all must start somewhere.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 05 December 2014 21:09:22
Just to clarify last comment. When pinging the Android from within the LAN my Android is not using wifi. It is on mobile data.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 06 December 2014 00:25:37
Also, I am able to ping IPv6 addresses (except for any of my home LAN devices) from my Android device through the tunnel. I just cannot resolve IP from FQDN such as ipv6.google.com. I assume this is a DNS issue but don't know how to correct this. As far as not being able to ping my home lans IPv6 addresses, I did a traceroute through the tunnel to a LAN device and the last hop is my ISP. I am looking into my router settings to find out how to allow this traffic.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 06 December 2014 10:14:04
Chris Laboy wrote:
Just to clarify last comment. When pinging the Android from within the LAN my Android is not using wifi. It is on mobile data.
Source + Destination addresses and a traceroute are a good start to look at.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 06 December 2014 10:13:29
Thanks for the reply Jeroen. I can ping my Android's IPv6 address from within my LAN but cannot ping any IPv6 addresses from my phone.
Which "Android's IPv6 address"? And what are the source addresses. As you state "LAN" it sounds like that is local IPv6 connectivity, not anything related to any kind of tunnel.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 06 December 2014 14:29:28
Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Jeroen. I can ping my Android's IPv6 address from within my LAN but cannot ping any IPv6 addresses from my phone. Which "Android's IPv6 address"? And what are the source addresses. As you state "LAN" it sounds like that is local IPv6 connectivity, not anything related to any kind of tunnel.
I was pinging from a device on my IPv6 LAN to the phone's IPv6 address given to me by connecting to the Sixxs tunnel. That's what I meant by using mobile data, the tunnel was implied. However, I have been able to put my router in IPv6 Passthrough mode and disabled temporary IPv6 addresses in Windows 7. So, connectivity is working although I'm not very keen on the idea that Passthrough is allowing all of my devices to be available through the WAN. I would still like to solve the DNS issue when connected to the tunnel. Any ideas?

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker