SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Static tunnel on OpenWRT Barrier Breaker (14.07)
[pl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 27 November 2014 14:26:02
I used to have a static tunnel on OpenWRT Attitude Adjustment (12.09) with 6tunnel and static configuration (without AICCU, without DHCP6). It worked well. Now, I changed routers and installed the new OpenWRT which comes with native support for 6in4 tunnels. I cannot however get it to run reliably. First, I configured it for AICCU, config interface 'wan6' option proto 'aiccu' option username 'my-handle/tunnelid' option password 'my-password' option requiretls '1' It works when network is reloaded manually /etc/init.d/network reload, and the router itself at least has IPv6 connectivity, but usually doesn't come up on boot. Logs return errors like Thu Nov 27 15:02:42 2014 local7.err syslog: Couldn't resolve host tic.sixxs.net, service 3874 Thu Nov 27 15:02:42 2014 local7.err syslog: Couldn't connect to the TIC server tic.sixxs.net Thu Nov 27 15:02:42 2014 local7.err syslog: Couldn't retrieve first tunnel for the above reason, aborting which seems to indicate that AICCU starts too soon, before the IPv4 network is up. It also doesn't announce the prefix in my network but that's probably a downstream issue. Second, I tried a static configuration analogous to my previous 6tunnel configuration, and as recommended by OpenWRT documentation config interface 'wan6' option proto '6in4' option mtu '1424' option peeraddr 'pop's.ipv4.ip' option ip6addr 'my:ipv6:tunnel:endpoint' option ip6prefix 'my:prefix/48' This works fine locally (stateless configuration on clients) but doesn't actually connect me to the tunnel. There is no outside IPv6 connectivity. What is the recommended configuration for Barrier Breaker? Is there a way to get AICCU to start at the right time? Or should I configure the tunnel manually? And if so, how?
[pl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 27 November 2014 14:27:33
Also, the preview of the above post never loaded. It works fine with this reply though.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 27 November 2014 21:05:05
What is the recommended configuration for Barrier Breaker?
You should really ask the OpenWRT folks, they are messing around all the time with it.
Is there a way to get AICCU to start at the right time?
As I have told the OpenWRT folks several times already, they need to make sure they have working connectivity AND a correct time (especially as most platforms that OpenWRT runs on do not have RTC). There is a simple solution for that: script a look calling ntpdate or date and wait for those to return success that the time is set.
Or should I configure the tunnel manually? And if so, how?
As you claim to build a static tunnel you indeed do not need AICCU at all as all parameters are known already. As to how to configure that, the OpenWRT docs should provide details. If something does not work, then use 'ip -6 route show', 'ip -6 addr show', 'ip tun show' etc to see what is configured properly and what is missing and start filing bug reports.
[pl] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 28 November 2014 16:53:43
Jeroen Massar wrote:
There is a simple solution for that: script a look calling ntpdate or date and wait for those to return success that the time is set.
Is that an advice for me, or for OpenWRT maintainers?
If something does not work, then use 'ip -6 route show', 'ip -6 addr show', 'ip tun show' etc to see what is configured properly and what is missing and start filing bug reports.
I know. I can get it to work. It's just flaky. If someone configured a static tunnel manually on Barrier Breaker using their native facilities, I'd love a peak at your network configuration.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 28 November 2014 18:23:10
Is that an advice for me, or for OpenWRT maintainers?
You can do that locally. It is already an advice given to them a long time ago.
If something does not work, then use 'ip -6 route show', 'ip -6 addr show', 'ip tun show' etc to see what is configured properly and what is missing and start filing bug reports.
I know. I can get it to work. It's just flaky.
If someone configured a static tunnel manually on Barrier Breaker using their native facilities, I'd love a peak at your network configuration.
As OpenWRT just uses a Linux kernel and wraps around iproute2 you should be able to see with the standard 'ip' commands what is configured correctly and what is not. Without technical details, little anybody can state.
[pl] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 28 November 2014 17:25:46
I'm trying over at the OpenWRT forum.
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 10 December 2014 23:54:44
Rafal Ochmanski wrote:
I'm trying over at the OpenWRT forum.
Just done this with a HearBeat tunnel on Barrier Breaker. Had exactly the same problem - I found this which has the solution: https://www.sixxs.net/wiki/Aiccu/Installing_on_OpenWRT#AICCU_fails_at_boot Its a bit of a hack but it works. Adrian

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker