SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Problems setting up Win8.1 ayiya tunnel, now quick blocked
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 23 July 2014 16:54:45
Hi, I'm just starting out with SixXS here and have been having some trouble setting up an ayiya tunnel on a Windows 8.1 machine. The latest command line client was connecting OK but then failing as it couldn't seem to find an adapter. I believe I've resolved that now by following some instructions to install the full OpenVPN TAP adapter, which gets me further. However the next issue is that although the client seems to have been coming up I have no IPv6 connectivity. In testing this out I appear to have hit a rate limit on reconnects and am currently quick-blocked. I'd be grateful if somebody could tell me how long I'll be blocked for, and what the soft limit is so I don't hit it again as I try to work out where I am going wrong. Many thanks, Alex Lennon
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 23 July 2014 17:18:32
During your testing (which must have been a LOT of starts of AICCU to trigger the block) you did not notice the warning that you where being soft blocked?
I believe I've resolved that now by following some instructions to install the full OpenVPN TAP adapter, which gets me further.
You did not notice the message that it could not find the tun/tap adapter?
However the next issue is that although the client seems to have been coming up I have no IPv6 connectivity.
Without any detail whatsoever, what do you expect folks to tell you on how to solve this? Please provide details.
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 23 July 2014 17:29:06
During your testing (which must have been a LOT of starts of AICCU to trigger the block) you did not notice the warning that you where being soft blocked?
Maybe ten connects. As I say I had to keep restarting as it wasn't picking up the adapter correctly. As soon as I saw the "soft block" message I stopped (well after one more try after half an hour) and have posted here to ask for advice.
You did not notice the message that it could not find the tun/tap adapter?
Yes, I did. I then researched solutions here and elsewhere online: tried re-installing the tap drivers (installation seems to fail on Win8.1), tried changing the driver name configuration for the client, tried installing the OpenVPN TAP driver as recommended as a solution for the SixXS driver installation failure and so forth. This amounted to a reasonable number of tests, which is why I appear to have hit your rate limit.
Without any detail whatsoever, what do you expect folks to tell you on how to solve this?
I'm not asking folks to tell me how to solve this at present. I am asking how long I will be quick-blocked before I can continue to look into the problem, and what the rate limit is so I don't hit it again. Many Thanks, Alex
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 24 July 2014 08:39:21
For those on Windows who run into the same problem with drivers/rate limiting, I can say that the server backed off overnight and I have now been de-"quick blocked". If you're on Windows 8.1 then you may find the SixXS drivers fail to install. The solution for me was to install the OpenVPN TAP drivers from here: https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html I then had to set the aiccu.conf file ipv6_interface to 'aiccu' (The driver issue may be the usual Windows 8.x signing issue, which can be worked around with a reboot to allow unsigned drivers to be installed. I haven't investigated further as the OpenVPN seems good enough). It's a shame the command line version of aiccu for Windows doesn't come with an installer to run it as a service, but I see there are some instructions here so will take a look at this next... https://www.sixxs.net/wiki/Aiccu/Installing_Aiccu_on_Windows_Vista#.2814.29_Installing_AICCU_Utility_as_a_Service
[fr] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 18 August 2014 07:49:55
Alex Lennon wrote:
The solution for me was to install the OpenVPN TAP drivers from here: https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html
I confirm, with Windows 8.1 Update 1, we must download the latest OpenVPN TAP driver. For me, it was the only thing to change, after it worked. Also, I found "aiccu" console exe created an incoming firewall rule to allow ICMPv6 (ping) but that rule is badly set. I changed that to allow really ICMPv6 "echo" and now incoming ping is OK. Please, maybe can you fix that, and update TAP driver directly on your website ? Thank you ;)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker