SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

MikroTik Routeros
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 10 July 2014 19:17:05
Hello, Somebody know if their does is a working heartbeat script for MikroTik Routeros ? I've found a solution but it's with running an openwrt virtual on it, seems to be a little bit overkill. Another update option via a url such as used by HE isn't year available with sixxs I think. I am searching because I need to reactivate my ipv6 tunnel, because Belgacom broke my native connectivity.
MikroTik Routeros
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 10 July 2014 21:17:34
Somebody know if their does is a working heartbeat script for MikroTik Routeros ? I've found a solution but it's with running an openwrt virtual on it, seems to be a little bit overkill.
RouterOS is Linux based and apparently there are ways to get a shell on it. Hence one can likely just run AICCU on it or at least a simple bash script with 'nc' which is good enough to get heartbeat going. You could also of course ask your vendor to support Heartbeat...
Another update option via a url such as used by HE isn't year available with sixxs I think.
There is a very logical reason for that. Heartbeat can be triggered at interface change. As the heartbeat protocol is a single UDP packet (and included in each AYIYA packet), the change is instantaneously. All the dynamic-URL update mechanisms trigger only every 5 minutes. That means that you will be without connectivity for all that time. Next to that, a URL update requires a TCP connection, which is already at minimum 3 packets for just the TCP handshake. And then the actual HTTP conversation has to be made after that. As such, a simple protocol like heartbeat is a MUCH better method than triggering some random URL.
I am searching because I need to reactivate my ipv6 tunnel, because Belgacom broke my native connectivity.
You might want to kick Belgacom hard about this. If you have native IPv6, use it!
MikroTik Routeros
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 30 July 2014 21:27:57
Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Somebody know if their does is a working heartbeat script for MikroTik Routeros ? I've found a solution but it's with running an openwrt virtual on it, seems to be a little bit overkill. RouterOS is Linux based and apparently there are ways to get a shell on it. Hence one can likely just run AICCU on it or at least a simple bash script with 'nc' which is good enough to get heartbeat going. You could also of course ask your vendor to support Heartbeat...
There is scripting support but very limited, i don't find direct a way to calculate md5 hashed, so it 'll be hard. Another option is making use of the metarouter option, and run a virtual wrt on it to host the hb client.
>I am searching because I need to reactivate my ipv6 tunnel, because Belgacom broke my native connectivity. You might want to kick Belgacom hard about this. If you have native IPv6, use it!
I kicked Belgacom the disabled it due to issues :( The way I use it on own equipment isn't supported normally by Belgacom, the most irritating of the isp here in BE ( Telenet & Belgacom ), all are offering native ipv6 but both do a Dynamic /56, for telenet cable isp it's semi static. For Belgacom the prefix changes each pppoe reconnect so maximum 96 hours. It's a discussion point that always comes back on the meetings of www.ipv6council.be
MikroTik Routeros
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 18 January 2016 10:14:05
Tom De Clercq wrote:
Hello, Somebody know if their does is a working heartbeat script for MikroTik Routeros ? I've found a solution but it's with running an openwrt virtual on it, seems to be a little bit overkill. Another update option via a url such as used by HE isn't year available with sixxs I think. I am searching because I need to reactivate my ipv6 tunnel, because Belgacom broke my native connectivity.
Based on several ideas found on the web, I wrote a small tutorial about it: https://www.fievel.be/doku.php?id=en:documentation:sixxs_aiccu_tunnel_with_mikrotik_routeros

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker