SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Publish DNS IPV6 reverse lookup
[no] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 30 April 2014 16:10:19
A quote from ARIN's number Resource policy: "When an RIR delegates IPv6 address space to an organization, it also delegates the responsibility to manage the reverse lookup zone that corresponds to the allocated IPv6 address space. Each organization should properly manage its reverse lookup zone." I have my own internal dual stacked ipv4/ipv6 DNS server with a fully populated PTR zone dynamically updated as hosts changes ip addresses. I have some bad experience with putting one leg of the DNS server out on the internet. (http://openresolverproject.org) Please provide me with some insight as to how you do it ! Regars, Henning
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 30 April 2014 16:18:29
I have my own internal dual stacked ipv4/ipv6 DNS server with a fully populated PTR zone dynamically
updated as hosts changes ip addresses. I have some bad experience with putting one leg of the DNS
server out on the internet. (http://openresolverproject.org)
For serving a DNS zone (like a reverse DNS zone), the server only has to be authoritative. It does not have to provide recursive service. That is why one typically keep auth and recursive servers separate. Though in practice you could set up for instance BIND which does both. But when you do that, do make sure you do not make it an open resolver. For setting up a auth-only DNS server, eg for reverse or a domain, just use 'nsd' which is auth only. If you need dynamic details or like mysql etc as a backend use PowerDNS.
[no] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 01 May 2014 07:15:01
Jeroen Massar wrote:
For serving a DNS zone (like a reverse DNS zone), the server only has to be authoritative. It does not have to provide recursive service.
Thanks, I have it up and running for my subnet now. What about the tunnel subnet? Specifically my router on ::2 ? Am I supposed to have a zone for that too?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 01 May 2014 13:26:01
What about the tunnel subnet? Specifically my router on ::2 ?
As per the FAQ, that cannot be changed.
Am I supposed to have a zone for that too?
No, as you can't configure it, it is standardized.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker