SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

ping6 error: Specify correct scope-id or use -s to specify source address.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 28 April 2004 16:12:24
I'm on Windows XP + SP1, clean install, behind a Fedora gateway, which runs radvd. I did a 'ipv6 install' and 'net interface ipv6 set privacy disable' (which indeed remove that 'private' IPv6 address assigned to the LAN interface), then rebooted. I'm getting a weird message from ping6 when I'm trying to ping another machine on the network (in this case, the gateway, but it holds for the other machines on the network as well) :
C:\>ping6 fe80::201:2ff:fef9:c3ff Pinging fe80::201:2ff:fef9:c3ff with 32 bytes of data: Parameter problem. Specify correct scope-id or use -s to specify source address. Parameter problem. Specify correct scope-id or use -s to specify source address. Parameter problem. Specify correct scope-id or use -s to specify source address. Parameter problem. Specify correct scope-id or use -s to specify source address. Ping statistics for fe80::201:2ff:fef9:c3ff: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss), C:\>
Indeed, the -s option works when I supply it. However, I can't seem to SSH to machines on the network using Jeroen's IPv6 enabled Putty. A search with Google didn't result in any solutions, and I couldn't find any information on this subject in this forum either. So, how do I set this 'scope-id'? (or: will that solve the problem?) :? Thanks, Roel
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 28 April 2004 16:31:37
Nothing weird there. fe80::/64 is routed to _all_ interfaces and as such which interface should ping use? As for PuTTY, even with the IPv6 patches... it doesn't support scoping, which would normally be done using fe80::1%cable or fe80::1%10 or similar. You should request and then use a subnet, not the linklocal (fe80::/64) addresses. But as you mention that your fedora gateway 'runs a radvd' I guess you mean that it is supplying a route already on your network, thus use that. Link-local addresses are not routable mind you. Small trick though: netsh int ipv6 add route fe80::201:2ff:fef9:c3ff "Cable" This will specifically route that IP over your "Cable" interface or however you have called it (see 'int ipv6 show interface'). This could work. And yes that is a _very_ convenient method when one has peeped up IPv4 _and_ IPv6, as long as the IPv6 stack is running and you are on a directly connected host you can still access the nexthop. And when you forgot what IP it had: ping6 ff02::2%cable for your router or ff02::1 for all the other hosts.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 28 April 2004 17:26:29
fe80::/64 is routed to _all_ interfaces and as such which interface should ping use? Link-local addresses are not routable mind you.
Ah, of course.
You should request and then use a subnet, not the linklocal (fe80::/64) addresses.
I figured as much, by now. That works, of course. Thanks for the reply. :) Roel

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker