SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

AVM Fritz Box 7270 with IPv6 config questions
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 03 April 2009 11:37:04
Hello, I am a newbie to IPv6 and have updated my AVM Fritz Box 7270 to the newest available test-firmware (54.04.94-13992), which offers the use of SixXS.net as a tunnel broker. I have created a tunnel, waiting for the credits to create the subnet. I see that 100% of the packets are "lost", therefore I am not sure if the tunnel is configured correctly or if I missed a step. Can anyone here confirm/explain the setup for this router? Or can anyone here give me some info on how to test the setup/availability? --> I asked AVM for help, but their answer is still pending. Here is my tunnel info from SixXS: (I blanked out some info with "xxx", neither IPv4 adress is "0.0.0.0")
Tunnel Name crimson1968 PoP Name dedus01 PoP Location Duesseldorf, Germany Germany PoP IPv4 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Your Location xxx, Germany Germany Your IPv4 AYIYA, currently xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IPv6 Prefix 2a01:xxx:xxx:xxx::1/64 PoP IPv6 2a01:xxx:xxx:xxx::1 Your IPv6 2a01:xxx:xxx:xxx::2 Created 2009-04-01 21:34:05 CEST State AYIYA (automatically enabled on the fly)
Thank you for your help, Michael
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 04 April 2009 11:08:22
Last AYIYA packet was seen at 2009-04-03 13:54:15 (GMT+1) thus theoretically that means it might have worked (at least valid packets where being sent to the PoP). I am wondering though what the AVM people are actually using on their devices, it doesn't seem to be AICCU.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 08 April 2009 11:14:33
Hello Michael, did you manage to configure your 7270? I am using the 13988 and I am not sure, what I need to do to get the IPV6-Tunnel running. I filed in username, password + tunnel ID. The Log says, that i have an IPV6-Connection.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 08 April 2009 11:31:19
Last Beat : 2009-04-08 08:28:29 (15 seconds ago) And PoP side is up: 64 bytes from 2a01:198:200:464::1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=7.09 ms 2a01:198:200:464::2 doesn't ping6 though. But that could be a firewall issue, or something else. It seems thus at least that there is some form of heartbeat support in there.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 09 April 2009 10:25:17
Hello again, I come back with some good and some bad news. Good news: * My tunnel seems to be up and halfway stable. * I have acquired a subnet and it seems to work out, v6-IP's are DHCP'ed to my clients (Vista) --> see below! * I still have fun working this out ;-) Bad news: * I get a 100% packet loss statistic in the tunel graph in SixXS. * I get no connection to any IPv6 enabled sites (via IPv6) * I see nothing I can do at the moment but wait for AVM to come in to help me. Greetings, Michael PS: Here's an excerpt of my ipconfig output on a client: "... Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : fritz.box IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2a01:198:3c3:0:88f3:2dc4:e32c:3cde Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2a01:198:3c3:0:a84c:3c1e:8ac5:3b34 Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::88f3:2dc4:e32c:3cde%11 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.24 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::200:ff:fe00:0%11 192.168.178.1 ..."
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 10 April 2009 23:13:32
Hi, another short update: After thoroughly checking if I missed anything in the configuration I come to the conclusions that: 1.) The router firmware seems to open the tunnel correctly. 2.) The acquired subnet is working within my network up to my side of the tunnel (router). 3.) My Vista and XP clients work with this config (locally) as DHCP'ed. 4.) Any attempt to pass the router seems to fail. I can ping and traceroute only up to the router. 5.) DNS resolves IPv4 and IPv6. My conclusion is that this firmware might be either buggy or that there is some additional info/config required either on client or router side (not in the web-interface though). This means that I'll have to wait for AVM to get some answer out on how to solve this little obstacle --> after the Easter holidays... In the mean time I am reading up on IPv6 and learning alot. :-) Greetings, Michael
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 11 April 2009 20:47:27
Hi Daniel, sorry, didn't read through your post all the way, therefore the delayed answer. I just entered the Tunnel ID, user name and password, like you did and restarted the router afterwards. In the syslog of the router, I saw then that the connection was made (I saw you got that message already). After the subnet was enabled and the router rebooted again, I renewed the DHCP lease on my Vista/XP clients and got IP's from the IPv6 range of my subnet assigned. Within my network these work just as intended ... but as posted before, I seem to not be able to reach anything past the tunnel ... I'll report back as soon as there is an update. Greetings, Michael
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 13 April 2009 09:18:29
I was running in the exact same situation. Tunnel connection just went fine, but doesn't get acknowledged by the fritz.box (besides it states in the eventlog, that it wasn't able to receive a prefix). After a couple of hours I could see the 100% packet loss in the statistics. Please report back if you get any additional information from AVM.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 13 April 2009 13:11:15
Hi all, I resolved the problem and everything is working fine for me now! Here's the quick intro to my setup: 1. You need a tunnel, configured like this: "6in4-heartbeat" - "AYIYA" was the cause of my problems, since it timeouts the packages somehow (??). 2. The Fritz.Box 7270 needs to be set up like this: a) There is only three parameters possible, plus some checkboxes/radiobuttons (the second half (2nd pic) is optional, I didn't test it, but I think it'll work either way): 1st Part of settings 2nd Part of settings 3. I rebooted the router and tried an IPv6 enabled site. (The tunnel starts up a bit delayed, be patient!) 4. To test the connectivity via IPv6, I used: IPv6 test page at IPv6Forum Success, finally!! :-) Greetings, Michael PS: I have -14 credits now, but that'll be worked out soon again ;-)
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 13 April 2009 14:16:00
Correction Note: these links in the above were wrong, here is the corrected version (Sorry, but the posts aren't editable and I got excited): "... a) There is only three parameters possible, plus some checkboxes/radiobuttons (the second half (2nd pic) is optional, I didn't test it, but I think it'll work either way): 1st Part of settings 2nd Part of settings ..." Sorry for the inconvenience. Greetings, Michael
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Thursday, 16 April 2009 13:11:07
Hello, Thanks for your instructions, they helped a lot. One remaining question: How did you manage to get the extra credits for requesting a subnet? I did the setup with the current beta fritzbox-firmware exactly as you described it, but I cant ping my IPv6-address on http://www.berkom.blazing.de/tools/ping.cgi for example. Furthermore the tunnel statistics show 100% loss. Does that mean, I do not qualify for the extra ISK after one week to request a subnet? Thanks for your help, Christoph
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 16 April 2009 15:53:06
Hi Christoph, I had the tunnel up for one week to get the additional ISK. The packet-loss of 100% doesn't matter, because the heartbeat-packet is sent from the router/FritzBox. Just be patient :-) My theory on the packet-loss issue is that AVM doesn't allow any incoming traffic, therefore even ICMP/Ping is discarded. They say so in the comments on this beta-firmware. Alternatively, you can send your "Xing"- or "LinkedIn"- profile via ticket or mail to the SixXS team to receive extra credit, it said on the ISK info page. Currently I have -14 ISK, because I had to switch the tunnel settings, but they will be gathered in time again. :-) I hope this helped, if you need more info, just mail me under:
michael.steinheuer<at>gmx.net
Success to you and everyone that wants to try, Michael
[de] Carmen Sandiego on Thursday, 16 April 2009 20:29:58
Hello, thanks for your information. I'll just be patient, because I neither have a xing profile nor one at linkedIn :-) I hope that AVM will allow more configuration of the ipv6-firewall in the future. It would be nice to reach the ipv6-enabled devices in the local network from the outside world. Thanks again for your help. Bye, Chris
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 17 April 2009 01:06:20
Hi perhaps SixXS changed some configurations. My tunnel started to work suddenly. I'm using ULA and AYIYA instead of the heartbeat besides that it gets my IPv4 via AYIYA right from the start. After a couple day of using it I can see in the tunnel stats, that I didn't have a 100%-loss all the time. Due to the beta the fritz.box web UI doesn't show that it is connected via IPv6 nor it shows any kind of IPv6 prefix on the landing page.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 17 April 2009 08:20:39
Hello Jens, I had my tunnel set to AYIYA before, too. To have the tunnel up and collect the ISK for a subnet, that's sufficient. You are right there! But after you haved a subnet, you'll find that your clients don't receive any packets, because with AYIYA this seems to time out. Then you'll have to switch to dynamic 6in4 heartbeat like I did. And the Fritz.Box gui shows you the connection status properly with the correct settings: Fritz.Box IPv6 status I hope it'll work out for you, too, Michael
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 17 April 2009 13:47:34
From what I understood from AVM, they only implemented TIC (for getting the parameters) and Heartbeat support (so you can have a dynamic IPv4 address as the endpoint of the tunnel.) AYIYA is not supported (afaik etc). Contact AVM to be sure though, you are their customer ;)
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 02 May 2009 11:16:53
Well, if TIC works correctly on the 7270 beta firmware, AVM seems to have their DNS relay problems with the dnsmasq package fixed now:-) Some older 7170 firmware wasn't able to "fallback" to DNS over TCP, when the DNS reply exceeded the max UDP size... which is almost always the case when querying the TXT records for TIC. Did anyone encounter "strange" problems with TIC an the IPv6-enabled 7270 firmware, i.e. is the tunnel always set up correctly - or are there sometimes delays or even complete failures? I'm unable to test it myself since I still have the 7170... and will wait for the 7390 release;) Regards, Wolfgang
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 29 April 2009 00:38:46
Ok, I tried some ideas to get the Fritz!Box firewall to let icmpv6 packages through. One thing I tried was adding a permit rule for icmpv6 packages to their ar7.cfg
lowinput { policy = "permit"; accesslist = "permit udp any any", "permit icmp any any", "permit IPv6-ICMP any any", "deny ip any host 255.255.255.255", "reject ip any any"; }
But unfortunately it did not help. Reading through other forums, I found some hint that the IPv6 settings are hard coded in their firewall code, which means there is no way of solving this problem but waiting for a newer firmware. Pity.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 29 April 2009 13:45:31
Hi Stefan, I also tried to add a similar firewall rule to no success. :-( I posted a feedback to AVM stating that they should at least modify the existing solution to allow ICMPv6 if the full-featured firewall package takes more time. So far I only received one response from them to my very first feedback from March, 6th (requesting to add a little info on how o set the tunnel correctly), stating that the Wiki at SixXS contains sufficient information and AVM therefore sees no need. :-) I could only ask everyone here that is testing the IPv6 capability on the 7270 to give feedback to AVM. This might encourage them to invest a bit of time and effort to complete the IPv6 features in the 7270 firmware, given that the responses show user interest at a bigger scale (than just me?!). Heads up, We'll get this to work completely! :-) Michael
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 07 May 2009 11:37:25
Hi, Michael, I got answer from AVM support. They said the next version of their "Labor-Firmware" will respond to IPv6 pings to make the SixXS tunnel work properly. They explicitly noted that they can not specify a release date for that new version yet, though. So we have to wait and see. All in all this is pretty good news though, I think. Stefan
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 21 May 2009 08:38:36
Hi all, I just installed the new release of the IPv6 beta firmware (Labor-Version 54.04.94-14338) from yesterday, 2008-05-20. The developer log states that this includes the ICMPv6 response-ability among some other enhancements regarding the SixXS tunnel:
"... Ereignismeldungen erweitert, Erkennung Subnet-Beantragung, Fix: Loss statistic zeigte 100% Loss ..."
This roughly translates to: [italic]"... eventlog extended, recognizing subnet request, Fix: loss statistic shows 100% loss ..."[/italic] Happy IPv6'ing to you all :-) Michael
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 27 December 2011 22:35:42
Hi, i am running a fritzbox 7270 with firmware 74.05.05. Tunnel heartbeat type go to new POP deleo01. my clients are able to reach IPv6 adresses, but i dont get graphs for my tunnel and also no ISK's. Does there a missconfiguration for my fritzbox or does the new tunnel deleo01 not ping and check my uptime? as the new firmware should response to icmpv6? best regards thomas
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 07 May 2009 11:35:59
Hello, same setup and Problem here in my environment. Tunnel is up and running but 100% loss. I have to wait a week to get my subnet for further testing.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 07 May 2009 12:19:57
See your log to resolve that (otherwise it would be quite a useless setup) Just restart your Fritz!Box and it should work.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 07 May 2009 16:48:52
looks like the box connect as it should 07.05.09 16:40:19 Internetverbindung IPv6 wurde erfolgreich hergestellt. Prfix: ::/0 07.05.09 16:40:19 Internetverbindung IPv6 wurde erfolgreich hergestellt. IP-Adresse: 2a01:198:200:xxx::x I wanna wait a hour or two and see if i still have 100% losss after this restart.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 07 May 2009 17:10:21
Hi Juergen, as stated before, the packet loss results from the built-in (unconfigurable!!!) firewall. The IPv6-firewall does not allow any outgoing traffic, including ICMP! Therefore you won't receive any ISK/credits for the tunnel as of now (besides the initial 5 credits after 1 week), but it works as soon as you have a subnet for all outgoing traffic (issued from a client within your LAN. I have asked SixXS support for a credit boost, since I still have -14 ISK after more than 3 weeks, but haven't received any answer (yet). So I (and everyone using this feature with the Fritz.Box 7270) will have to wait for AVM to update the firmware with at least the feature to answer the "tunnel-ping". Hopefully, they also implement a manageable firewall soon. Jeroen: Could you (SixXS staff) check if the Fritz.Box 7270 users could be granted a small credit boost for further testing? (It is really not our fault, but AVM's....we can't bypass the "packet loss" issue without a firmware upgrade, we tried even to add the firewall rules for ICMPv6, but it does not respond to any configuration ...) Greetings, Michael
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 07 May 2009 17:11:23
the box is working fine with ipv6 if u use 6u4 offerd by my provider. I can ping one of our Nameservers: Reply from 2001:xxxx:2:xxxx::2: time=129ms Reply from 2001:xxxx:2:xxxx::2: time=118ms Reply from 2001:xxxx:2:xxxx::2: time=119ms Reply from 2001:xxxx:2:xxxx::2: time=138ms If I am not wrong it looks like just the SixXS Tunnel is not working.
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 07 May 2009 17:30:48
Hi all, some more info, that just arrived: AVM answered me also with the info that the next firmware will resolve the issue of the "packet loss", but they state that the release date for that issue isn't clear yet, so wait and see and be patient. :-) Juergen: Yes, you can ping to the outside world, if you set your fritz.box to 6in4. This only provides you with a "local IPv6 solution", but no connect to the public IPv6-internet. Alls outbound connections still are IPv4-based if you switch to this feature. Your tunnel was/is working properly, disregard the info about the "packet loss", it's just an unfortunate side-effect of the firmware issue. If you switch back to the tunnel, you will have the extra ISK for the subnet in about 1 week. This subnet will be DHCPv6'ed to all your properly configured clients. But if your tunnel isn't active, you won't receive the ISK..... Greetings, Michael
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 07 May 2009 18:13:04
got it now Michael :)
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 18 April 2009 16:21:34
I started a Wiki page on the fritz.box at https://www.sixxs.net/wiki/Fritz!Box_7270 ... I will try to transfer the essentials of this discussions to the Wiki in a less discussion-like way. If you have ideas or improvements, please help! Stefan
[nl] Carmen Sandiego on Tuesday, 22 September 2009 16:10:45
Grmbl, I configured my FB7270 with the international IPv6 Labor and wanted to test it out so I changed my tunnel to heartbeat and changed it back to ayiya when that didn't work. Score: -15 and no working tunnel with subnet :S How many credits can I expect when I hand in my linked-in profile? With aiccu I'll be waiting for about 24 weeks... :S Regards, Jos
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 22 September 2009 16:23:00
[..] With aiccu I'll be waiting for about 24 weeks.
See the Credits FAQ which states amongst others: 8<-------------------------- Credit Loans / Bonusses When you have demonstrated that you can keep your tunnel active for more than 3 consecutive weeks and you are still below the 0 credit limit, you can ask the SixXS Staff to give you a credit loan, which will give you a credit boost so that you can request new items. Of course this loan can be denied depending on your credit record. Do provide a good reason why you should be given the extra credit. ------------------------->8 Thus no, not more than 3 weeks and definitely less when providing some good reasoning. We want people to USE SixXS, not ab-use it though, that is the whole point of the credit system.
[nl] Carmen Sandiego on Tuesday, 22 September 2009 16:38:13
Clear, I'll wait for another week and a half for my tunnel to be up 3 consecutive weeks and write an email then. Just starting to get the hang of it :)
[nl] Carmen Sandiego on Thursday, 08 October 2009 15:45:05
Is there any indication of how long such a request would take to be processed? ie. weeks or days?
[nl] Carmen Sandiego on Friday, 16 October 2009 11:18:14
Jeroen, can you tell me if my mail gets blocked or something? I wrote a message to info at sixxs asking for a loan/credit boost, but I never got an answer. Several places in the FAQ suggest me that an answer is normally sent in 2 days, after 10 I still haven't heard anything. Is my mail lost or something? Thanks in advance, Jos Hoekstra
[nl] Carmen Sandiego on Wednesday, 09 December 2009 11:30:51
Whoehoe, now I got enough credits to request a subnet and change tunneltype to heartbeat. With the instructions on the wiki-page and following them strictly it would have been easier ;) Now it just works(tm) ;)
[fr] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 26 June 2010 21:16:11
Hello, Here using Intl Fritz Box 7270 with firmware: 54.04.81-17599 which is latest current ipv6 from lab for intl box. I managed to get heartbeat tunnel up, but there are no DHCPv6 router advertisement of IPs + route from tunnel IP block or the site-local. The only DHCPv6 advertisement is for DNS entries pointing to the site-local box IPv6. Configuring manually site-local IP for a host on LAN I am able to communicate with the Box in IPv6 and its own site-local, but that's all. Please do you know where I can get a working IPv6 firmware for that box. The avm site lab section only show the 54.04.81-17599. Either way, if you know of a work-around teaching the box about IPv6 routes for global scope IP from the tunnel block, at lest I could get that working statically. Regards,
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 26 June 2010 21:28:34
I managed to get heartbeat tunnel up, but there are no DHCPv6 router
advertisement of IPs + route from tunnel IP block or the site-local.
I assume you mean the subnet (2a01:240:fe17::/48 in your case) instead of the tunnel prefix (2a01:240:fe00:27::2/64) with "tunnel block". The Fritz!box will get that information from TIC and use it automatically. Can you make a screenshot/copy the information on the
The avm site lab section only show the 54.04.81-17599.
17599 is indeed the newest version available for the international version. Compare to Versions and you know what has changed since, IMHO not too much. I tested the 17599 and it worked, I am just missing way too many features that I require (eg, simple something like staticly routing a couple of /64's to another router, ability to turn off firewalling etc). Note also that the Fritz!Box keeps on RA'ing the site-local address, next to announcing the global prefix, but you can only use a single /64 out of the /48 which it automatically picks, no way to change which one there either.
[fr] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 26 June 2010 22:18:01
Here are screen-shots of the Fritz!Box configuration: Forum picture Forum picture Forum picture the ipv6 config in the box is like this:
ipv6 { ulamode = ulamode_off; use_default_ula = yes; ula = fd00::; use_fixed_mtu = yes; fixed_mtu = 1280; radv { MinRtrAdvInterval = 450; MaxRtrAdvInterval = 600; AdvDefaultLifetime = 1800; PreferedLifeTime = 3600; ValidLifeTime = 7200; AdvDNS = no; } ip6_6to4static_cfg { popaddr = 0.0.0.0; local = ::; remote = ::; prefix = ::; prefixlen = 0; } ip6_6rd_cfg { popaddr = 192.88.99.1; prefix = 2002::; prefixlen = 16; } sixxs { ticserver = "tic.sixxs.net"; username = "####-SIXXS"; passwd = "$$$########################"; tunnelid = "T#####"; } }
On the client side (Ubuntu 10.04): /etc/network/interface
auto eth0 #iface eth0 inet6 static # address 2a01:240:fe17::1 # address fd00::224:1dff:fe13:276 # netmask 64 # gateway fd00::224:feff:fed6:f05f iface eth0 inet static address 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1 # post-up invoke-rc.d --force aiccu start # pre-down invoke-rc.d --force aiccu stop
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 26 June 2010 22:35:47
That part looks fine to me, what do the RA's look like on the client? See radvdump for a handy tool to do so (or heck, tcpdump or wireshark). Also, 'ip -6 addr sho' and 'ip -6 ro sho' can be handy.
[fr] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 26 June 2010 23:08:26
ip -6 addr sho 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 inet6 ::1/128 scope host valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever 2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qlen 1000 inet6 fe80::224:1dff:fe13:276/64 scope link valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever 4: virbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 inet6 fe80::dc70:80ff:feaa:1e0c/64 scope link valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
No radvd packets with radvdump or tcpdump.
[fr] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 26 June 2010 23:34:08
forgot about routes:
ip -6 ro sho fe80::/64 dev virbr0 proto kernel metric 256 mtu 1500 advmss 1440 hoplimit 4294967295 fe80::/64 dev eth0 proto kernel metric 256 mtu 1500 advmss 1440 hoplimit 4294967295
I have a switch in between the Fritz!Box and my client. I wonder if the radvds currently cross the switch and if it advertise on each ethernet. LAN Topology:
(DSL line) Fritz!Box eth0 --- in sw1 --- Music-Desktop --- in sw2 --- Ubuntu-Desktop --- Linksys-PAP2T --- Win7-Desktop --- Net-Printer --- DM7025 eth1 --- slproom-multimedia-Desktop wlan --- dining-multimedia-Laptop
[fr] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 27 June 2010 14:16:39
After checking other hosts on LAN, radvd correctly send global IP and parameters. It just happens they don't reach my Ubuntu box for some reason. By the way, I applied a static configuration to this host and now I can use IPv6. Still can not add IPv6 routing from internet for global IP through the Fritz!BIX to the LAN. It appear there is only IPv6 port forwarding. (What a short-sighted limitation.) I hope AVM Lab will add editable IPv6 routing and firewalling soon. Thanks for the help. My apologizes for replying on new threads. Just found the "in-thread reply button". :)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker