SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Multiple hosts and routing
[se] Carmen Sandiego on Tuesday, 27 August 2013 18:25:07
Hello, I have received a /64 subnet and I have setup a windows server to terminate the static 6in4 tunnel. My clients can successfully send packets to the encapsulating windows machine, which forwards them to the IPv6 backbone and I successfully recieve replies that are forwarded back to the to the clients. My network is configured like: clients -> win server (router) -> 6in4 tunnel -> internet. However, my question is as follows. When I inspect the neighbor cache on the static sixxs interface (v6v4tunnel) at the win server machine I see a separate ND entry for every IPv6 destination on the internet to which I have recently connected. Why is this happening? I have tried to configure my network so that the win server has a default route ::/0 with gateway set to the inner IPv6 IP of the remote tunnel endpoint. I expected the neighbor cache at the most only contain the configured gateway. If needed I can provide IP addresses, configurations and neighbor cache printouts. A related question: I have seen that people who have received native IPv6 access from their ISP often needs to make trix with ND proxying. For example this guy: http://www.ipsidixit.net/2010/03/24/239/ Why is proxy ND needed? Isn't that a result of the ISP not configuring a correct nexthop for the handed out subnet? Thanks
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 27 August 2013 18:38:57
When I inspect the neighbor cache on the static sixxs interface (v6v4tunnel) at the win server machine I see a separate ND entry for every IPv6 destination on the internet to which I have recently connected.
Why is this happening?
Because that is how most IPv6 implementations work. Linux does it the same way (although they are thinking hard about resolving it as it causes all kinds of funny issues that do not happen in IPv4). This shows how not optimised a lot of IPv6 implementations are.
Why is proxy ND needed?
Because while they get a /64 on their interface, it is not routed to them.
Isn't that a result of the ISP not configuring a correct nexthop for the handed out subnet?
It is because they do not get a routed subnet, they just have the link /64. The NDProxy allows them to have hosts on a different link. For SixXS in the 'link' prefix (thus the tunnel) only <prefix>::1 (the PoP) and <prefix>::2 (user) are active. Subnets are routed towards the <prefix>::2 hence why no ND proxy is needed.
[se] Carmen Sandiego on Wednesday, 28 August 2013 18:07:13
Thanks for your reply. Feels like IPv6 should suffer from scaling issues when subnets are not routed.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 28 August 2013 20:17:34
Feels like IPv6 should suffer from scaling issues when subnets are not routed.
The ISPs that do not route a subnet to their customers intends to not give you that ability, they typically want you to pay for a 'business class' connection to get multiple IPs. The ProxyND setup just is a trick to get around it.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker