SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

TIC Block - How long to expire?
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 21 June 2013 08:16:25
On 14th July after an OS update I rebooted the server which manages our SixXS tunnel. It would appear that (after two years of inaction) a launch script started working which resulted in the TIC server getting hammered. We received an auto-email alerting us to this and the server was blocked from issuing TIC requests. When you do this sort of thing, an alert box appears on one's SixXS home page alerting you to your error:
We have detected excessive repeated TIC connections to our servers. Please check the configuration of your clients and especially the log file and configure the client to not automatically keep on restarting. The following IP's where involved. IP First Last Count 217.xx.xx.xx 2013-06-14 09:21:37 2013-06-19 13:09:46 206
Having received the email from SixXS, immediately we made some changes to config files to correct the error. On the 19th I tried to manually start up the tunnel. I received a "TIC server not responding" error and the alert box on my SixXS' home page incremented the TIC requests count to 206. (Which to my mind shows that the alert box is updated in near real time which in turn suggests that we have fixed the core problem as the TIC request count has not materially moved since the 14th and has not changed at all since the 19th. We're now just waiting for the TIC block to time out). So on to the main point of this post: Does anyone have any idea how long it takes TIC blocks to time out? We're now a week on from the initial cock up but still no IPv6. I dare not try to fire things up manually as it'll simply increment the TIC requests count perhaps delaying the removal of the block yet further. I have sent an email to info@ detailing the steps taken to fix the issue. This seems to have fallen on stoney ground as the somewhat curt response (to the second email) was to stop hammering on the TIC server and "fix your setup". As both of these conditions had been fulfilled prior to sending the email (and were detailed in the email), I'm unsure as to next steps. Comments / advice as to how to deal with this welcome. TIA Simon
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 21 June 2013 08:40:38
We're now just waiting for the TIC block to time out
Due to the amount of requests made (which are not that many compared to other folks who have been really hammering on the TIC server), you will indeed just have to wait that out. The message in the home will disappear when that has happened. Also see: FAQ: What about TIC? - I am blocked from TIC!
This seems to have fallen on stoney ground as the somewhat curt response (to the second email) was to stop hammering on the TIC server and "fix your setup".
There is nothing more to say about it, that is all you can do.
[br] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 07 September 2013 16:25:25
Jeroen Massar wrote:
There is nothing more to say about it, that is all you can do.
So can I momentarily disable AICCU to avoid keeping the count to grow up? If AICCU keeps trying, the average will take more time do drop...
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Tuesday, 10 September 2013 08:12:30
If AICCU keeps trying,
Please note the very big thing that AICCU does not keep trying by itself.... If something is causing AICCU to retry though, then you really need to resolve that problem. Do please describe what platform, how and where etc and importantly why it is doing that then though.
[br] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 10 September 2013 17:01:22
Jeroen Massar wrote:
> If AICCU keeps trying, If something is causing AICCU to retry though, then you really need to resolve that problem. Do please describe what platform, how and where etc and importantly why it is doing that then though.
Jeroen, As I sent by mail to info@sixxs.net, I figured out a bad contact in the power supply of machine wich runs AICCU, causing it to restart sometimes, and fixed it. But for my surprise, it happened again. I let it turned off while resolving the issue, then it got a new IPv4. Today this other IPv4 is also blocked. I am sure there are no new reboots of machine because power failures, so I will investigate more deeply. Just now I will stop AICCU on the pfSense box I am using. Please tell me if is better to start a new thread to diagnose it or if we can continue here. I will provide detailed data you asked in the next post if you agree.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 16 September 2013 05:13:14
The only way to resolve things is to provide data, nobody here in the forums has access to your device...
[br] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 13 November 2013 14:19:48
Jeroen Massar wrote:
The only way to resolve things is to provide data, nobody here in the forums has access to your device...
I changed the machine and not seen the problem until now... your help was greatly appreciated. Thank you for your patience and time... :)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker