SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv6 multihoming with SixXS/Hurricane Electric
[de] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 30 December 2012 11:18:33
I'd like to implement IPv6 multihoming (non BGP) with Hurricane + SixxS. While both tunnels come up and the default route is set to both:
route -n -6 | grep ::/0 ::/0 :: U 1024 0 0 he-ipv6 ::/0 2001:4dd0:xxxx:yyyy::1 UG 1024 0 0 sixxs ::/0 :: !n -1 1 316 lo
only the one that comes up first works for internet access. When I force a software to use the other of each, it seems, packets are still routed through the first (which then of course doesn't work). As example: If the HE tunnel is up first and I force mtr to use the SixXS client IP, packets are routed to my HE end point:
mtr -a 2001:4dd0:xxxx:yyyy::2 www.google.com --report HOST: bnalrr01 Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev 1.|-- tserv1.ams1.he.net 0.0% 10 40.0 25.8 20.5 40.0 7.4 2.|-- ??? 100.0 10 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
And vice versa if I bring up the SixxS tunnel first. What am I doing wrong?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Sunday, 30 December 2012 12:40:19
What am I doing wrong?
Not reading the FAQ: Transit / I have some other tunnels and now it doesn't work Note that one can do "multihoming" with a setup like this and adding source based routing (forum has entries about this) but it will never fully work the way you like it as the end-host will be picking a source address and then fail if one of the connections is down, thus in the end it does not solve any real problem.
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 09 January 2013 01:59:53
As Jeroen says, SixXs will not route the traffic that does not originate from your SixXs address ranges so you need to ensure that whatever address it originates from gets sent to the correct tunnel (Policy Based Routing - PBR). I have the following policy configured for two tunnels on one router.
Tunnel to SixXs - uses the SixXs tunnel /64 Tunnel to HE - uses the HE tunnel /64 LAN A - Uses a routed SixXs /64 LAN B - Uses a routed HE /64 One (and only one!) default route pointing to SixXs tunnel gateway. PBR to route any traffic FROM LAN B TO HE tunnel gateway. PBR to route traffic FROM LAN A TO LAN B. PBR to route traffic FROM LAN B TO LAN A. (These two are required to prevent your local traffic HE <--> SixXs being routed down one tunnel and back up the other).
I preferred to keep the SixXs and HE traffic on separate LANs.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker