SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[hu] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 24 October 2008 12:14:15
I want to add a Wireless AP to my existing home network, does anyone has experience with IPv6 and Wireless APs? Currently I have a Linux router, which connects to the PoP, shares the net (IPv4 NAT, IPv6 routing), has DHCP, radvd etc, so for the wired networks IPv6 is working fine. I want to plug a Wireless AP to my switch, and configure some encryption (WPA-PSK) and thats all the functionality that is needed from the AP. I want the Wireless clients to use the DHCP/radvd/etc server from the exsisting Linux router. So I need a Wireless equivalent of a switch (Layer 2 only). Is it possible? I'm thinking about the D-Link DWL-2100AP, but didn't find any information regarding IPv6 about it.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[cz] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 21 March 2009 09:26:54
If you need only L2 layer pass-thru for ipv6, it will work with most cheap access points. But only in some modes. In normal infrastructure mode, if your access point act as master of network, it should work. It does work for me with Ovislink 5420, also worked with 5450. I believe it also works with pretty old Orinoco AP. On side of master AP, it does not need special support, if it is bridging, it should work. On side of wireless client, there are differences. If you intend to connect using notebooks or devices with directly attached wireless card to it, it should work without problems. If you need connect using access point in client mode, that is "transparent" wireless device in bridged client mode, it will not work. In client mode, it is not fully compliant bridge, it does something like NAT for mac addresses. One client is allowed to send with only mac address, so if you have two computers connected to hw client, ipv4 will work, ipv6 will not. I never seen access point i can manage using ipv6, so what i wrote is only about blocking ipv6 supported from different router. If you use wrt, you can have ipv6 as in good linux router. So if you want to manage AP using ipv6, you might want to find access point supported by some alternative firmware, as is openwrt. It can route ipv6 traffic possibly, then it will work also as wireless client (no broken bridge is done that way).
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[at] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 03 April 2009 01:01:51
I got one of these really old and cheap Netgear which can (theoretically) do up to 11MBit ones. Seems to work quite nicely with my OLPC... well, as long as you don't need anything in a hurry, that is...
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 24 October 2008 12:26:06
Just get something that runs OpenWRT/DD-WRT/X-WRT etc. all those custom firmwares have full support for IPv6 and tend to even include AICCU, so that you can do AYIYA from the router (yes, then they are routers, as they will do IPv4 NAT and IPv6 routed ;) Of course you can also go for a L2 only thingy (bridged mode), then you just have to plug it in and it will work. I would go for something WRT'ish though.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[hu] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 24 October 2008 13:03:04
My collegues are using OpenWRT, so I have an idea what it is capable of. The current Linux router (old PC) is also serves as a backup server, IMAP server, game server. Because of this I need RAID-1 on my HDDs, and there are some binary only (x86) things running too, so OpenWRT is not the right solution for all this. I try to look into this L2 bridge thing.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 29 October 2008 02:09:20
While I find OpenWRT software to be pretty good, I find the hardware where it runs to be usually limited. For that reason, I'm now replacing all my Linksys WRT routers with ALIX PCs running OpenBSD. ALIX PCs are very capable devices that are easy to expand and have an excellent combination of hardware and features. In addition, I find OpenBSD networking support to be superb (CARP, PF, IPv6/IPSec) which is a plus. The weak point is OpenBSD's support for wireless devices, but you can easily buy Wireless NICs that are supported by the ALIX and OpenBSD.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 24 October 2008 22:47:32
In our network we use Proxim AP 4000s, and the users get their IPv4 and IPv6 addresses from our Linux servers. The access points themselves only support IPv4 for configuration of them, but I believe this is close to what you are looking for.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[si] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 26 October 2008 21:05:12
Andras, every AP works as a L2 bridge(switch). AP's don know what protocol is flowing thru them (just like an enthernet switch does not know or care if there is IP, IPX, NetBEUI or anything else flowing thru it)
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 29 October 2008 02:10:57
True. But some access points also offer L3/L4 capabilities, like behaving as a host on the network (and hence getting an IPv4/IPv6 address), doing routing and sometimes even tunneling IPv6-over-IPv4. An example of this is the Apple Airport Extreme base station.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[gb] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 01 November 2008 19:18:56
I have an access point that will forward IPv6 packets fine, but then after two weeks, it will stop, and yet IPv4 packets are unaffected.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 27 October 2008 20:52:37
You may way to look at this section in the Wiki: http://www.sixxs.net/wiki/Routers
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 09 January 2009 14:50:27
Note I have been pointed towards the manual of the D-Link DIR-615, which indicates IPv6 support: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir615_revC/Manual/dir615_revC_manual_300.pdf I have added the reference to the wiki. It would be nice if they would include and indication of IPv6 support on their product page though.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 09 January 2009 15:15:30
The rumor is that D-link only has IPv6 support in the Asian market, most likely because of training of their sales and support staffs in the rest of the world.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 10 January 2009 04:46:25
Well they certainly sell them at Best Buy and Fry's in California that I went to (Rev. C model). You can also order from Ingram Micro, however D-link's online store seems to be in permanent back-order for them.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 12 January 2009 20:10:39
This is the official line I got from D-Link: "At this point none of our products support IPv6, once it becomes a standard our products will then be upgraded to support it. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to e-mail me back. " I wonder how much this is the development and the sales/marketing teams simply not communicating with each other.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[fi] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 12 February 2009 18:10:37
One need to be careful there. I bought the newer(?) revision of DIR-615, Revision D with firmware 4.00. That one does not have the IPv6 support. So, I guess that it is only the Rev.C that has the IPv6 support.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[fi] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 03 March 2009 22:25:35
There seems to be also an alternative: I bought a Trendnet TWR-652BRP, which supposedly has identical hardware as D-Link DIR-615 C. (The Trendnet model seems to be available in Europe, unlike the DIR-615 C.) The Trendnet happily accepted a firmware update flash to D-Link DIR-615 C firmware 3.01. And now it thinks that it is DIR-615. (Only the ID code in the end of firmware needed to be modified before flash. Advice and discussion to be found in DD-WRT and OpenWRT forums. For example, http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=245921#245921 ) Right now I have a static 6-in-4 tunnel in place, seems to work at least for the ping. However, it will still take several weeks for me to get ISKs needed for subnet, so I haven't really been able to test the connectivity properly, yet. Still, this seems to be one of rare consumer models with IPv6 and Wifi G/N support.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[fi] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 04 March 2009 20:33:46
I got some ISK credit, and subnet is now in place. DIR-615 C happily accepted the subnet, and offers stateless IPv6 auto-config for computers in the LAN. Vista picked the address automatically and configured routing. Router config was simple: - selecting "IPv6 in IPv4 Tunnel" as the IPv6 connectivity mode, and - providing the remote & local IPv6 & IPv4 addresses. The logs and monitoring screens in DIR-615 are focused on IPv4 and do not offer any hints about IPv6 computers in LAN. IPv6 tunnel "just works". I didn't succeed in setting DIR-615 to work as DHCPv6 server with a defined range. It offered config options for defining the address range, but Vista seemed to invent its IPv6 address independently. Might be due to Vista, and not the router's fault. So, DIR-615 C seems to work just nicely as IPv6 tunnel endpoint. (actually Trendnet TRW-652BRP with DIR-615 C firmware) I haven't tested the router's wireless functionality, yet.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[fi] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 04 March 2009 21:44:51
Small correction: the code for Trendnet model is TEW-652BRP (not TRW-)
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 12 January 2009 20:07:56
It looks like Linksys is kind of lost on IPv6 support. The response of an e-mail I sent to them: "Unfortunately we currently do not have any IPv6 supported routers. The two models we used to have were transitioned over to Cisco. So if you need IPv6 support you are looking at a router under the Cisco brand, not the Linksys brand."
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 29 October 2008 02:05:21
Apple Airport Extreme does support IPv6, both as a node (using link-local and global addresses) and as a tunneling device (IPv6-over-IPv4).
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[hu] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 01 November 2008 18:47:07
Thanks for the answers. I bougth the D-Link DWL-2100AP. It didn't block the IPv6 traffic so everything is working fine in Linux. For Windows I didn't get an IPv6 address, but I mainly use Linux so this is not a problem, probably some configuration error on the Windows site.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[pl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 04 December 2008 12:57:02
MikroTik's RouterBoards works fine. Both as an IPv6 router and as a regular node.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 21 December 2008 13:12:05
FYI: a cisco 877-w does not do ipv6 over the wireless interface.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[fr] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 25 December 2008 23:48:07
Not true. My Cisco 877W is working perfectly with IPv6 The point is that you can't register your IPv6 network address in BVI1, because the bridge function is not IPv6 compatible. Assuming you used SDM to configure your router, register the first ipv6 network address in VLAN1 (ipv6 address 2001:xxxx:yyyy::/64 eui-64) and the second in interface Dot11Radio0.1 (ipv6 address 2001:xxxx:yyyy:1::/64 eui-64). Now, you are routing IPv6 packets between wired LAN and wireless LAN. Why do you think Sixxs gave you a /48 ;-) ? Regards; Philippe
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 12 January 2009 20:43:27
FWIW, This is the response I received from ProCurve The ProCurve WESM zl module is the only ProCurve Wireless Product at this time that supports IPv6 to the point of being able to pass IPv6 along. It is unclear if or when IPv6 will be supported with ProCurve Wireless products. Any enhancements or additions to ProCurve products are announced upon release on the ProCurve.com website, and also through a Proactive Notification newsletter sent to subscribers of the My ProCurve Portal at https://my.procurve.com.
IPv6 capable Wireless AP
[ie] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 06 March 2009 00:00:56
The Fritz!Box 7270 has IPv6 support in the lab firmware now. Both native, IP6CP (PPPoE) and tunnels are supported. It is supposed to handle DHCPv6 to the LAN side, but the version i saw on CeBIT wasn't quite there yet. /Martin

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker