SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Issue with powerline adaptor
[es] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 05 October 2012 16:55:53
Recently I managed to configure a tunnel and route the /64 subnet provided on a small atom computer running Ubuntu server 12.04 through the FAQs and the Wiki (thank you all very much for the time and interest you take). That small box is connected to a switch, that is itself connected to a Mikrotic Routerboard that has wifi capabilities and in this way, provides IPV6 conectivity to all the gadgets, portable computers, phones, etc, that are in the house. That switch also has a cable to a powerline adaptor (TL-PA210) that, through the electricity cables, expands the LAN to a a couple of ubuntu 12.04 desktop computers, each with one powerline unit. The thing is that whatever goes on wifi works OK, but the desktop computers don't. And after many tries and tests I have concluded (it works ok if I just plug a wifi-less portable computer running lubuntu 12.04 in the switch) that it is the powerline units that don't carry IPV6. I believe the German gentleman on the following link is also complaining about a IPV6 conectivity problem with the same units. http://www.heise.de/ct/hotline/Powerline-mit-IPv6-1613463.html Do you think I could be right in my conclusion? I thought powerline worked at a different level and it wouldn't matter whether it was carrying IPV4 or IPV6.
Issue with powerline adaptor
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Friday, 05 October 2012 17:08:34
From your description it sounds like Multicast is broken on your link. Check with tcpdump if you see packets inside fe80::/10 from other hosts on the hosts involved to determine this. Also try doing a:
ping6 -I eth0 ff02::1
You should see arrive on all the hosts on the same L2 segment and you should also get replies from all the hosts (unless they are in some kind of firewalled state). And you are right, they mention exactly that problem in that article with your model of router, it apparently does not do multicast properly and thus you won't be able to do IPv6 over it natively. If you have only a few nodes in your network you could work around it partially by adding static neighbor addreses, dirty, but might work. Otherwise you could also tunnel between the nodes over IPv4, not nice but again, works.... (I am happy that I simply pulled a bog-standard CAT-5 to all corners of my house ;)

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker