SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Apple and IPv6
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Tuesday, 19 August 2008 18:22:27
AppleInsider has an interesting article with regards to Apple and IPv6. Sharing it here for those who might be interested: Apple's secret "Back to My Mac" push behind IPv6
Apple and IPv6
[ch] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 29 October 2008 02:23:30
I found the article to have some misconceptions, or at least misleading wording. For example: "One big feature is security: all IPv6 traffic can be encrypted via a built-in component of the protocol. There's no need to wrap the old FTP protocol with a layer of encryption or use SSH, no need to turn on SSL to secure the web, no need to encrypt each email or each IM conversation and each video conference. Everything can be encrypted at the network layer in IPv6 using IPSec." First, IPSec is also available for IPv4 and there is NAT Traversal for IPSec. Second, I don't know of anyone wrapping FTP with a layer encryption (they either use SCP, Kerberized FTP or no encryption at all). Third, using IPSec to protect all traffic is just not feasible: imagine having to set up an IPSec transport-mode SA to your bank in order to perform secure electronic transactions, instead of using SSL.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker