SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

National Education Networks and IPv6?
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Saturday, 05 July 2008 16:59:36
Does anyone know which national education networks are now able to provide IPv6 connectivity to their associated institutions? For example I see JANET, in the UK with "IPv6 Unicast into the wider JANET (including Regional Networks) Service Level Agreement in August 2008": http://www.webarchive.ja.net/development/ipv6/index.html I would be curious to know whether at that point universities will be able to connect with IPv6, without needing 6to4?
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Saturday, 05 July 2008 17:11:15
As far as I know, all of them. Just check GRH if they have a prefix and if it is being routed. JANet has been doing IPv6 for a long long time already. Quite a number of universities are already doing IPv6 for a long time too. It mostly depends on the interest of the connected party though, as the core networks are able to deliver it. If your university thus does not have IPv6 yet, kick them hard. Btw, HEAnet(.ie), Surfnet (.nl), Belnet (.be), Poznan (pl) even have SixXS PoPs which are providing connectivity to a lot of people. Tunnels are just a good way to overcome one or more hops that can't be easily converted to native IPv6.
[ro] Shadow Hawkins on Sunday, 06 July 2008 15:09:51
All NRENs might have IPv6 address blocks, but not all of them offer this service. For instance, RoEDU, the Romanian NREN tested the service back in 2004, but decided not to implement it network-wide.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker