SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Home subnets and local hostnames
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 23 June 2008 16:56:21
Typing in an IPv6 numerical address is a pain, so more human alternatives to referring to computers in the local subnet. Two solutions I see are: - a DHCPv6 server associated with a DNS server - Bonjour (an implementation of Zeroconf) From what I can see DHCPv6 is not quite there yet, with most systems using router advertisements to deciding on the IPv6 address or using a link local address. Zeroconf on the other hand has bundled implementations of MacOS X (via Bonjour) and on Linux (via Avahi), though without manually installing Bonjour for Windows, then MS-Windows is left in the cold. Are there any other possible solutions, or are these the best candidates? The reality is that a home subnet in the short term will probably have a private IPv4 address available, though I am more interested in a cross-platform solution that can deal with an IPv6 only network.
[us] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 18 July 2008 06:54:20
It's a question I've been pondering myself. I run my own DNS servers anyway, so I plan to manually configure the hosts (and disable privacy on Windows clients so their addresses don't change). There's bound to be a multicast solution or perhaps one of the newer peer name resolution protocols like Microsofts patented (yuck) PNRP or a content addressable network. But I haven't seen anything that sounds appealing to me at the moment. My other thought was to use DDNS on all clients, but that may be a bit too much trouble.
[si] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 21 July 2008 10:45:56
Doesn't Windows use DDNS by default ? (at least it used to for IPv4)
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Monday, 21 July 2008 14:28:06
If read the following page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS it states that "In Microsoft Windows networks, Dynamic DNS is an integral part of Active Directory, because domain controllers register their network service types in DNS so that other computers in the Domain (or Forest) can access them". If that is the case then given Active Directory is not available in the home network context, that neither would Dynamic DNS. If Dynamic DNS were to be used as a solution, for address look up in home networks, then this would have to implemented by the gateway/router devices, which I don't believe is currently the case. That is not to say that the shouldn't or won't, just that there is still some work to be done here.
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Monday, 21 July 2008 14:32:27
One can always use: Secure dynamic DNS or for Windows: Windows_DynamicDNS_Update.zip

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker