SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

IPv6 at hosting providers?
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 12 June 2008 13:20:25
Hi, On the site I read this note: "Note that this list only comprises Access Providers and not hosting providers. Most hosting providers can provide IPv6 already simply because it is native IPv6." This is a bit in disagreement with a small survey we did earlier this year amongst our hosting providers (about 25, see http://www.watchmouse.com/worldwide.php). In at least 50% of the cases the reply came back negative. Some quotes from the survey: - "Currently IPv6 is not available for all our Servers and is not supported by our technical infrastructure. Also there are no plans to establish IPv6 in the near future." - "I am sorry. Currently we cannot offer you a IPv6 range, and it is not in our plans for the near future." - "Currently we have no IPv6, you are the first client that is asking us about it." - "Ipv6 is rarely seen in datacenters at the moment. You can easily create a 6to4 tunnel." - "We are looking into the possibility of getting IPv6 IP addresses from APNIC, but there's no specific plan on this as yet, thus we are not able to provide a timeline on when can we implement IPv6 within our network." - "Currently and in the near future we do not support IPv6, our hardware is not ready (yet) for IPv6. Unfortunately I can't give you an estimate." So, is this just bad luck? Anyone else with experiences like this? I should note that in the other 50% of the cases they could at least do something (like a 6to4 tunnel to their core) or were up for the experiment for native. Pieter
[ca] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 12 June 2008 17:08:45
I am not really suprised by this. I wonder how many people know the right way to approach migrating their whole network to support IPv6? In fact if anyone as recommondations for an apporach on how to migrate (indicating who to contact what needs to be changed, and so on) for - a datacenter - a large private network Then adding this to the Wiki would be handy. The more good documentation we can create on the different aspects of IPv6, the less admins, and the entities they work for, can complain about not knowing how to deal with IPv6.
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 18 June 2008 20:22:04
We will be working with some of the hosters the coming months, I'll try to post any findings here...
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Thursday, 17 July 2008 16:03:14
I have found XLS Hosting to offer VPS plans that have native IPv6 support.
[ie] Shadow Hawkins on Friday, 09 January 2009 00:55:59
Howdy, sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but we've started listing hosting providers on the Wiki, that offer native IPv6: http://www.sixxs.net/wiki/IPv6_Enabled_Hosting Please feel free to add the providers you do know. /M

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker