SixXS::Sunset 2017-06-06

Scarlet POP
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 31 December 2003 03:55:43
Are there knows problems with the Scarlet POP? I am having connection trouble (high latencies, packetloss) once every now and then for the last 4 weeks. Latency graphs show some nasty spikes: http://ping6.exsilia.net/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi?target=Servers.Embrace
Scarlet POP
[be] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 31 December 2003 12:45:32
Yes, I noticed this too, but I was not able to determine whether it was an ipv6 problem or another Scarlet problem. But when it occurs, ipv6 is nearly unusable. I use Scarlet as DSL provider in belgium.
Scarlet POP
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 31 December 2003 13:05:01
And what does this ping stat tell? That somewhere between the machine you are pinging from and the machine you are pinging too there is a problem. As you haven't shown any statistics of where the latency occurs or even which IP addresses those hosts have, how is this relevant at all? You might be interrested in checking the latency graphs which show no such problems. Remember that you are using a tunnel, which goes over IPv4, so you might want to figure out exactly where the problem is. Next to that why, if there have been "problems" so long haven't you contacted the staff directly and notified them of these "problems"?
Scarlet POP
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 31 December 2003 13:34:42
When my scarlet tunnel was havoing problems (a few times in the last 2 weeks), I ran traceroute which told me everything was fine between me and the hop before the pop itself (in it's name juniper and ams-ix). After that though, the last hop (the scarlet endpoint), was having very high packetloss. In normal use i noticed the connection copmpletely blocked for some time (a few minutes probably, did not look for any pattern), and the ok again for a few seconds.
Scarlet POP
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 31 December 2003 15:46:14
Might I suggest 'mtr' to all of you? There are versions out there with IPv6 support too. Using the -r/--report option will generate a nice report from which people can actually tell what/where something is wrong. Saying "somewhere at sometime something went wrong" simply doesn't say nor write anything and there is nothing we can do about such vague descriptions. Next to that I must mention that it is a known fact that there are quite a number of installations out there that have icmp-limitting, thus icmp doesn't always tell the truth. Fortunatly we have graphs to your endpoint, which most of you didn't check apparently as they show no oddities whatsoever. If you got real numbers and times, don't hesitate to contact the staff about these kind of issues, as described on the main forum page. But remember as written on the contact page, don't forget to include those real numbers as we can't tell anything else and will simply answer with that we can't help you out.
Scarlet POP
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 31 December 2003 16:11:38
After some log-searching I found this: Thu Dec 25 22:30:
4. ge-0-2-130.juniper-1.sara-ams-ix.sc-network.nl 0% 180 180 13 13 14 23 5. broker04.ams.nl.sixxs.net 57% 77 180 691 15 963 3921
Scarlet POP
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Wednesday, 31 December 2003 16:39:29
You might want to show full timeframe and the hops in front of that and ofcourse IP numbers, not hostnames. Checking the latency graphs only show some external hosts being affected by some latency at that moment, maybe someone decided to overload scarlet at that moment?
Scarlet POP
[nl] Shadow Hawkins on Wednesday, 31 December 2003 16:50:22
I would have shown more if I had - there is nothing else in my logs. Maybe someone did, I can't possibly know, all I know is this has happened a few times in the last 2 weeks (mostly in the late evening (GMT+1), and the info I have shown here.
Scarlet POP
[ch] Jeroen Massar SixXS Staff on Thursday, 01 January 2004 15:30:32
I hope you understand that we can't do or even see anything from the provided information. The internet is a big place and seeing that only few have problems from a couple of hundred users on this POP and that we don't see anything significant in the graphs and the other various measurements we run has to make me conclude that it is something local for the few of you. If you really want a fix provide the information that can show where the problem is, which quite probably will show you that it is between you and the POP, which is something we can't help with as that is a problem of the ISP servicing your internet connectivity. And indeed this will mostly be the case as the POP are all placed in the network of the ISP hosting them.

Please note Posting is only allowed when you are logged in.

Static Sunset Edition of SixXS
©2001-2017 SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker